The Tillamook Escapade
Prologue: The Character for Trouble

There were times when playing detective had its drawbacks. Dale had undertaken a bit of “detectiving” and was now paying the price. Chip could have warned him that one thing you never, ever did was investigate your own friends. But Dale had succumbed to his suspicions, learned the truth, and now had to take action. He was finding it to be one of the most difficult things he had ever done.

Gadget had just turned down her bed when the knock came at her door. Each of her friends had a characteristic knock, and Dale couldn’t disguise his. He began with a brisk tapping that Gadget had thought for a moment was Chip, but Dale couldn’t resist “shave and a haircut,” and she smiled as she answered the door.

“C’mon in, Dale,” she said cheerily. Dale would usually display great puzzlement at how she always knew it was him, but this night his expression was one of stern concentration.

“Gadget, I have somethin’ important to ask you,” he began. “I’ve been doin’ some detectiving about Foxglove.”

“You should know better than that,” she scolded. “Foxglove cares a lot about you. She trusts you. You shouldn’t be prying into her life.”

“I know,” he answered resolutely, “but I’m not sorry I did. Yesterday morning, after she left here, I got my hang glider and followed her. She hasn’t been honest with us.”

“I thought she was staying across the park,” Gadget said, her apprehension growing. “Where did she go?”

“I guess she couldn’t find a place near here,” Dale said. “I followed her for a couple of miles. She’s sleeping under a bridge along the L.A. river.”

“Oh, golly, Dale! It’s so cold now, even in the daytime. No wonder she visits so often.”

“I know. I saw the place. It isn’t safe there. There’s all sorts of rough customers hanging around. When she’s asleep, anyone could knock her off her perch. And when it’s this cold, she can barely get herself moving and she wouldn’t have a chance. I wanted to ask, if it’s all right with you, if she could move in here. She could sleep in the attic where it’s dark and warm and dry. She won’t bother anyone.”

“That’s very generous, Dale. I think it’s a great idea. I can fix up a good sturdy roost for her. And I can enlarge that window into a Dutch door so she can come and go at night and not worry about disturbing anyone. It’ll only take me a few minutes.”

“Gee, thanks a lot, Gadget,” Dale said. “I wish you could help me with what I have to do next. I’ve still got to ask Chip and Monty and Zipper.”

“Would you like me to ask them?”

“No. It’s my idea and I should be the one to ask.”

Dale walked the short distance to the room he shared with Chip. The sliver of golden light that escaped under the door meant Chip would be under his reading lamp, reviewing an old case or rereading a Sheer-Luck Jones novel. At least he’d be relaxed and in as good a mood as was possible. Dale decided to hit his hard-headed partner head on. He strode into the room, pulled a chair up next to Chip, and plunged right in.

“Chip, I want to move Foxglove in here with us. She’s smart, she’s clever, she can fly and Zipper can always use help when somethin’s up in the air . She’s even learning magic and she can do some nifty tricks. She’s already been a big help on a few of our cases, she’s risked her neck as much as any of us and she deserves a decent place to stay.”

Chip didn’t speak or even blink. He just sat, staring open-mouthed at his roommate. “Well? Whatcha starin’ at?” Dale demanded.

“Dale,” Chip said, astonished. “I have never heard such a reasonable, well thought out argument from you. It’s almost like listening to Gadget. If Foxglove has that effect on you, I’ll help you carry her luggage!”

“You mean, it’s okay?”

“If I had any sense at all, I would have thought of it first. You’re absolutely right on every point, Dale. Go ahead and have her move in. Where’s she going to stay?”

“Up in the attic. Gadget’s fixing it up right now.”

“Fine. Go get her.”

“Not yet. I still have to ask Monty and Zipper.”

“Oh,” Chip looked concerned. “Look, go easy asking Zipper. Foxy does eat insects, you know.”

Dale winked broadly, as if the “fix” was in. “She only eats ‘em after dark. And that’s when Zipper’s sleepin’!”

Dale scampered to the front room to find Monterey Jack and Zipper. He wasn’t worried a bit now. He’d seen how well Zipper and Foxy got along, and Monty was always friendly with her. This would be the easy part.

“Monty! Zipper! I’ve got somethin’ to ask you you’re gonna love! I wanna move Foxglove in with us. Whatta ya think?”

Zipper squealed in delight, flew a double loop-the-loop, and gave a big smile and a thumbs-up. But Monty regarded Dale with a dark expression and steepled his fingertips like a villain trying to decide which horrible fate to doom him with.

“Dale, me lad,” Monty said, “you’re ridin’ for a fall. Foxglove’s got her eye on you and no mistake. If you move her in here, you might not ‘ave made a commitment, but you ’ave made a choice. It means no more patty-fingers with Gadget, or arguing with Chip over her, understand? I won’t stand by and see Gadget’s or Foxy’s feelings toyed with.”

“I understand, Monty,” Dale said solemnly.

“That’s not all. You’re letting yourself in for more chaos than the night Swain’s Cats and Rats ran amok in the Sydney Hippodrome. A bat what’s a sorceress-apprentice, and a mouse what’s an heir to Edison. Coo, what a dust up that’s gonna be!”

“Foxglove and Gadget get along fine, Monty. I think they’re going to be good friends.”

“Up to now, they have been,” Monty said ominously. “Do you know what the Chinese character for ‘trouble’ is?” He drew the character on the chalkboard. “It stands for two women under one roof. And they’re both going to be trouble for you.”

“So,” Dale asked sadly. “You don’t want her to move in?”

“Are you kidding, pally? I love trouble! You and Foxy will be the oddest couple, and have more trouble, than anybody since Terwillerger and Baldock landed in New Zealand. And I wouldn’t miss that for the world! Ahhh, you ‘ave asked her about this, haven’t you?”

“Ummmm, no. I was going to make sure it was all right with all of you first.”

“Well, c’mon. pally. Let’s get on with the askin’.” Monty clapped Dale on the shoulder, nearly flattening him. “We’ll borrow the RangerePlane and bring your lady-fair on over. We may as well get the ruckus under way!”

Act 1

Back to the stories