A possible Hybridisation between Tamias striatus and Mus musculus domesticus
By Nicholas

File: 16002b refer: 16001b
Patients: Mr Chip Maplewood and Mrs Gadget H. Maplewood.

==Introduction==
Mr Chip is a male Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus), in his mid 30s, while Ms Gadget is female house mouse (Mus musculus domesticus) in her mid 20s. Both are members of the sentient strains of their respective species

It has been a year and more since I last met Mr Chip and Ms Gadget, and much has happened in that time. Of their adventures I can’t comment but their wedding was as near a public event as can be possible for our hidden society. Our newspapers ran several full-length pages on their wedding. There were even colour photographs, something of a rarity among our papers. Almost two hundred guests were invited to the wedding held at Ratisson hotel. Which if my memory serves, was the site of some very peculiar chipmunk patronage regarding women restrooms and other interesting incidences some years ago. Though my memory is not entirely accurate, their wedding was also the scene of a dramatic disturbance by a person(s) whose identity I can’t recall. However it did involve a case of mistaken identity where the best man and the maid of honour were kidnapped, in place of the bride and bridegroom. I suspect the case was quickly solved as the wedding proceeded as normal the following day.

Although the Rescue Rangers are much loved by our community, there was talk among some circles concerning Mr Chip and Ms Gadget’s choice of life partners. What was said can be easily be imagined and will not be repeated here.

==Observations==
When the newly weds came through the door, I noticed the blissful smile Ms Gadget had and the boundless energy she so demonstrated, by talking at such rapid speed that I believed she had picked up the natural lingua of chipmunks. Something that I’m sure her husband had been tutoring her in. This frantic energy and other signs were obvious characterises of early pregnancies amongst mice.

However I politely kept my observations to my person and waited for the lucky couple to present the happy information themselves. Once the new was broken, naturally I smiled and congratulated them, giving Mr Chip and Ms Gadget a firm handshake. By casual questioning, I learned that Mr Chip was indeed the father of Ms Gadget’s child. If my detractors say otherwise, they only have to meet Ms. Gadget to put their doubts at bay. Even with my short talks, her personality shines so clearly that unfaithfulness is certainly beyond her person. However I do not ask for blind faith. A DNA fingerprint will be conducted on the child at a late date, for confirmation of the successful cross.

But till then, I will continue considering the child as being father by Mr Chip. The couple had beaten the odds, so far. Furthermore I learned that Ms Gadget was in the first month of her pregnancy, indicating a date of conception somewhere in the final week of December or early January.

From our conversation, it became apparent that the couple were worried about the pregnancy, Mr Chip especially so. Due to the peculiar nature of this case (refer: 160001b), I will suggest that the pregnancy be treated as a normal pregnancy with close monitoring unless proven otherwise.

Unfortunately even regarding this pregnancy as normal, Ms. Gadget may prove problematic. While Ms. Gadget had no health difficulties herself, I learned that she has a family history of difficult, high-risk pregnancies. Her mother had died in childbirth. And her sister, a Widget Hackwrench (whose name was oddly familiar, probably centring around maritime news) had barely survived the birth of her son. The litter I was informed was reduced to a singleton by the newly introduced BCI method.

Under normal circumstances, which I informed them, there were two possible options available. The first would be to terminate the pregnancy immediately. Thus saving Ms Gadget from any potential hazard. The second would be to run the gauntlet using whatever medical technology available to ensure the maximum survival of mother and litter. One such method available here would be to cull some of the litter either by chemical (BCI) or surgical means to increase survival of at least one pup. From the silence that immediately greeted me, I knew that I have placed a great burden on the pair. It was a dilemma, a roll of the dices; where success, failure or the bittersweet thing in between, would be measured in family members. My impression of Mr Chip drew a blank, but from Ms Gadget I felt her decision would be to risk a full pregnancy rather then kill one of her litter.

Mr Chip, a keen observer, then carefully noted my use of’ ‘normal’. I continued by saying that for this pregnancy, it was quite likely that it’ll spontaneously abort giving no further trouble. The mix heritage could well prove lethal as the foetus(es) developed. Their expression upon hearing this was understandable. The couple appeared sadden, but the truth is often such. How soon could they know that the pregnancy would take hold? Ms Gadget asked. I admitted that I did not have a clue. In two month’s time I decided. Most of the foetus(es) development are completed within that time period.

My profession as a counsellor is to provide options. And after recalling what little I knew about the married couple I was able to offer a small glimmer of hope. I reminded Ms Gadget and Mr Chip about their altered biochemistry (refer Case: 160001b). Since their genetics, thus biochemistry had changed by the effects of the Nimnul Modemiser, it is very likely that their physiology had been to a degree been altered. I pointed out, that while nearly all genes become inactive in matured differentiated cells, with only tissue specific and house keeping genes keeping functional, it could be possible that Ms Gadget might have benefited from the addition of chipmunk genes. It is a know fact that chipmunks are a more resilient species compared to mice. I oddly recall that chipmunks can survive inhaling a pure nitrogen atmosphere for 112 seconds compared to mice who succumb after 53. I recommended Ms Gadget undergo some tests by my colleagues in the hospital.

It is an embarrassing thing to admit, but at our present state of technology there is little that can be done should Mr Chip and Mrs Gadget’s litter suffer any maladies due to its mix heritage. All that can be done is to observe, note any defects, prepare for them, and in some cases steel the heart and abort. Though such a decision is abhorrent to several groups, it might be a merciful decision for the parents.

I when on to discuss several prenatal diagnosis techniques which may offer clues to their litter’s well-being. I started with an explanation amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling. Both method have been in used by human for decades and been available to our society for the past five years. Both techniques yield cytogenetic information quickly. However the flip side of these fast invasive techniques is a small definite risk of a spontaneous abortion, which is dependent on the skill of the hospital staff. Ms Gadget seemed rather worried. But I assured, that our staff at the Staten Hospital were well trained and had much experience.

Other less invasive methods are available, however I pointed out that can only be used at later stages of pregnancy. And an abortion at these later stages would be a more traumatic experience for the mother.

Unfortunately at this point our meeting had to be cut short. Mr Chip and Ms Gadget were called away due to urgent matters relating to their profession. A very distressed and excited chipmunk burst into my office bearing the news, a member of the Rescue Rangers who Mr Chip named as Dale Oakmont. It seemed that a great calamity had befallen our city. All the chocolates had gone missing. I cannot verify his claim, as I’m not an aficionado.

==Conclusion==
Silently I bid the couple good luck. Their litter would be a rather interesting addition to the world. But I fear this story may find an unhappy end. Only time will tell.

Prepared by
Edward Greentea MVMS

Back to the stories