All Smiles in the Darkness

By: RedSwift

Chapter 15

Dale woke up but couldn’t see anything, “Foxy, you there?”

“I’m here cutie she said,” putting her wing on his shoulder, “though where here is I don’t know.”

“Any idea how long we’ve been out?” he asked her.

“None, we’re not alone either cutie.”

“We’re not? I can’t see a thing.”

“There’s a little girl over in the corner, she’s still out though.”

“Let’s try to get her up,” and he sat up and started walking. Immediately he ran into something solid and fell back to the floor, “Uh, Foxy, could you guide me? What’d I run into also?”

“Sure thing cutie, and that was the bars of our little cage” and she led Dale over to the prone figure on the floor.

They knelt down on opposite sides of her and tried rousing her.

“Tammy, Darice?” she mumbled sleepily.

“No, but you’re OK,” Foxglove soothed.

Foxglove picked up the child and cradled her, pacing around. Dale sat down, leaning against the bars. This child new Darice and Tammy somehow. He knew it wasn’t Bink, he would have known her voice. Just as the child was getting restless in Foxy’s arms, he suddenly he remembered her name mentioned in passing with Darice.

“Linda, everything will be OK, the Rangers will come get us,” he said.

“How do you know my name, an’ how do you know they’ll come get us?”

“Because we’re Rangers ourselves, I’m Dale, and Foxglove is the one holding you, and I know your sister very well. She’s mentioned you a few times.”

“Wow, real Rescue Rangers,” Dale heard her say with real awe in her voice, “You can put me down now Foxglove, I’m a big girl.”

“I’m sure you are,” Foxglove said, setting Linda down next to Dale. She then sat down on Dale’s other side, hearing the frustration in his face as he brooded.

“Do you remember anything after those goons jumped us?” Dale asked her.

“No cutie, not a thing. After they put those rags over our faces, all I remember is waking up in this cage with you.”

“I wish I could see in all this darkness, its pitch black in here.”

“You’re not missing much. Besides our cage, its just room with bumps on the walls and ceiling. I can’t hear anything outside of this room either, which is strange.”

Dale and Foxy sat, talking about some things for what seemed like hours. Linda put her head in Dale’s lap and fell asleep, and soon after Foxy did the same thing on his shoulder. Just as Dale himself began nodding off, a mechanical voice boomed from somewhere overhead:

“Welcome to you new home for now. I trust you’ve found everything to your disliking. Food will be brought to you soon, and for… other things, just ask and someone will escort you. To answer the bat’s reason for not being able to hear outside this room, it’s a sound-proof room. You can’t hear out of it, no one can hear in. The length of your stay is being determined by your friends, I hope my plans I have set up for them go well.”

“What’re you gonna do to the rest of the Rangers?” Dale yelled into the void.

“Nothing drastic, I assure you. I have no need to kill them, I just need them to stay out of the way of my business. Hopefully talks will be conducted tonight between myself and Mr. Maplewood, securing your release in the morning. If things don’t go well, then your future is unknown, I will have to see,” and then a click was heard.

Dale stood up and paced around, occasionally walking into the bars of the cage. Foxy quietly giggled to herself each time he did this, thinking of how cute he looked when he got like this. She kept her comments to herself, however, since when he tried to be serious and someone didn’t take him seriously, he’d get quite angry. She hated to see her cutie angry. Occaisionally she’d hear Dale muttering to himself, but she knew from experience that he wouldn’t welcome her comments about now.

Foxy busied herself with keeping Linda occupied, and eventually she went back to the sleep that had been interrupted by Smiles.

Eventually Dale sat down next to Foxy with a “Humph!” and sat with his arms crossed. Foxy looked over at him, and gently put her wing around him.

“Don’t worry cutie, the Rangers will come up with something, you’ll see. We’ll get through this and go back to normal,” she said, trying to console him as best she could.

“I know Foxy, its just so frustrating not bein’ able to do anything! Here we are, 2 helpless animals! We’re Rescue Rangers, we should be able to get out of this!” he said, throwing up his hands in disgust. “I mean, what kind of crime fighters can we be if we can’t escape a simple cage.”

“Sweetie, calm down before you wake up Linda, I finally got her to bed, and besides, that’s the thing, we’re Rescue Rangers, not Ranger. As a team we can do lots of things, but individually we realise how weak and helpless we are.”

“Yeah, that’s true, but if you were here stuck with Chip, he’d think of something to do to get us out, Gadget could build us something or use any of the number of tools she carries around with her, Monty could muscle his way out with the guards, and Zipper could do anything he wants to. What can I do? I could try fighting a guard, but without Monty I’d be finished quickly. I can’t build anything, not smart enough to come up with a plan either.”

“Those things are true, sweetie, but think of how boring being trapped with any of them would get after awhile.”

Dale snickered at that, “That is true, I can hear Chip now, Foxy, you act like you’re sick, and the guard will come check on you. When he comes in, I’ll be hiding in the shadows and will spring out and knock him out. Where he would hide is beyond me, Dale said, looking around out into the darkness.”

Foxglove gave a short laugh, “Yeah, I could hear him saying something like that, or something really elaborate that would only work with extreme luck. Anyways, there’s no one I’d rather be cooped up with than you, cutie,” she said, twirling the hair on top of his head with her wingtips.

“Aw shucks,” he blushed, as Foxy wings wrapped around both of them…

The Rangers, Foxglove, Tammy, and Bink are Copyright Disney. Used without permission but with the utmost respect. Darice, Runt and Smiles are figments of my imagination trying to get out. You may post this story in any way, so long as you don’t modify my words or gain profit from it. (Boy, isn’t all this legal mumbo jumbo fun?)

Next chapter

Back to the stories