The Service Chapter Two

A feeling of sadness and longing.
That is not akin to pain
and resembles sorrow only.
As mist resembles the rain.

--Longfellow, "The Day is Done"

---------------------------------------------------------


Episode 1: Thorns and Roses

The cold high altitude air whipped by Gadget’s resolute face, stealing away the heat of her anxiety and buffeting the Rangerwing. She normally didn’t fly this high. But she needed the altitude and time was not on her side. A hurricane was coming, the first of the season, and news said it was going to be very large.

For the last week the Rangers have been on a missing human child case. One that she had to convince Chip (against his better judgment) to take. It was for his own good. For two weeks prior to this case, Chip had been moping around the Ranger Headquarters. She had tried her best to find a rationale for his current mood, but to no avail. Finally, in frustration, she decided to find some case for Chip to work on as that always seemed to perk him up. The case she found took them all over the city and finally ended with a whimper instead of a bang. Sort of...

Gadget glanced over her shoulder and soaked in the image before her. There, in the back seat of the Rangerwing laid Chip, cradled by Dale, and head bandaged. It was a freak accident. A mistake. Her mistake. Oh sure Chip took responsibility for it. He had told her that "he should've looked where he was going." If he had, he would've avoided the shaky boards and not have fallen through them while they were searching the abandoned building for the human child. But she was at fault as well. She was paired with him (as usual) and had gotten separated. She didn't notice what had happened to him. Thinking that he had left, she searched around, and found the child in a yard next to the building. With the help of the others she was able to flag down a passing police car and lead the humans to the child. As they watched the officers take the child away to safety, Dale commented on Chip’s absence. She had totally forgotten about him! And as they searched building it was She who had found him, laying next to a fresh hole in the floor that he had fallen into. A hole that was near to where she was! * If I had paid more attention to what I was doing.... * Gadget frowned. And with a look of determination, once again, resumed her task of flying everybody home to safety.

Monterey Jack looked at Gadget with concern. "Gadget, it wasn't your fault. It was an accident."

"Yes it was Monty," she said through clenched teeth. "If we hadn't found him. He could've...." Gadget’s words died away and she flew in silence for several long minutes. Then with a low determined voice she said, "well, anyway it’s over now. We’re going home. All of us!"

Monty decided that a change of subject was desperately needed. He looked over the side of the Rangerwing, and studied the dizzying vista before him. "Gadget, is it necessary to fly so high?"

"Yes Monty," she said in a no nonsense voice. "Because of the storm the winds are so gusty that they make flying the Rangerwing very difficult to fly through the city. It will be much easier to fly once we get into the park. Besides, with Chip in his condition, it just safer to fly above the skyscrapers."

Monterey looked once more at the vista, then at Gadget. "How long will it be before we get home?"

Gadget looked about and did some quick calculations in her head before she checked the wing’s instrumentation. Her eyes widened in surprise as she taped the energy gauge. * shoot! Something else I should have paid more attention too! *

Monterey, seeing Gadget’s reaction, looked at her with wide eyed concern. "Gadget?"

"We don’t have enough power to get home."

"Where can we go?"

Gadget stared at the instrument panel for several long seconds as she made some silent calculations, and a decision. "Caprice’s tree..."

Monterey blinked, then glanced back at Chip, then looked towards at Gadget. Though she was not watching at him. He was sure that she knew what unspoken question was forming in his mind.

"Don’t worry Monty." She never took her eyes off of the wing’s controls. and continued her flying. "It’s the only way," Gadget said firmly. "Everything is going to be all right. Were going home! OK, a different home.. But, home..." She then looked at Monterey with a smile. "No problems."

Monterey looked at her as she quietly resumed her flying and silently said a prayer as he tighten his Seat belt and tried real hard not think about what could happen next.

* * * *

Chip laid uncomfortably on a large puffy couch which stood in a room that he did not recognize. Somewhere, beyond his range of vision, the sound of a howling wind assailed his ear drums as he tried to make sense of what was going on. Chip attempted to sit up so he could look around and take stock of his environs. But when he did so blurring vision, as well as dizziness and a severe head ache, rapidly descended upon him. Forcing Chip to lay back down with a groan. He did not know exactly when he had closed his eyes, but when he realized that the sudden darkness that was before him was because he was asleep, he opened them.

At first his vision was still a bit blurry, but it began to slowly clear, and his head felt steadier. Chip blinked several times as his vision returned to normal. It was then that he realized that there was someone watching him! He slowly turned his head to get a better view of this person and immediately recognized the face and form of Gadget kneeling at his side with a look of relief upon her. "Where... Where am I?" Chip asked in a surprisingly small voice.

"Safe..."

Chip turned his head slightly and looked around as best he could. * funny, this doesn’t look like home. * Chip turned to ask Gadget a question. But as he opened his mouth to speak gadget put a hot cup of unknown liquid to his lips and said "drink., it’ll help you feel better."

Chip sipped the liquid timidly. It tasted like some sort of tea but he could not identify the flavor. He then took another sip, and after his taste buds gave his brain the OK, he began to drink in earnest. Chip watched Gadget over the rim of his cup as he drank. She had walked away from his field of vision and returned with a small night stand and a chair which she placed next to the couch. A nervous look embraced her features as she then sat uneasily in the chair and watched him drink his tea. When he had finished he put his cup on the night stand that she had provided and gave Gadget his full attention. "Uh, Gadget, is there something you want to tell me?"

"Chip, I uh... That is we..."

Chip felt a seed of dread form in the pit of his stomach. He looked around, and from his new vantage point he easily saw that the room he was in, and the couch he was on, was not part of the Ranger decor. "Gadget, where is Dale, Monty, and Zipper?"

"They’re not here Chip... They went home."

Chip turned towards Gadget. "Gadget? What happened? What’s going on?" Chip attempted to stand up, but as he did so a wave of dizziness came upon him, and he was forced to lay down fully on the strange couch. Seeing what was happening, Gadget immediately went to his side and helped him settle down on the couch. She then disappeared and returned with some blankets and proceeded to cover him with it.

"Now Chip, I am going to tell you some things and you are going to lay there and listen." She firmly tucked him in the blankets. "Do you remember us taking you home in the Rangerwing after your accident?"

Chip searched his thoughts. "Sort of... Some of it is hard to remember..."

"Do you remember when you got here?"

Chip tried to think some more, but his mind came up blank. He then looked towards Gadget in fear and confusion. "Gadget, what..."

Gadget sympathetically stroked Chip’s head fur, and calmly shushed him. "It’s all right," she said in a soothing voice. There was a long pause before she spoke again. "Chip, you’re at Caprice’s tree."

Chip’s look turned from fear and confusion, to surprise and confusion. "Why am I..."

"You were hurt, the hurricane was coming, and the Rangerwing didn’t have enough power to get us all home." She averted her eyes from Chip’s as she said this. Chip said nothing as he gave her his undivided attention. There was as short pause before she continued. "And Caprice’s tree was the closest."

Chip looked down at his covers as a thoughtful expression graced his face. In all the time he had known Caprice, Chip had never actually been to her tree. Oh sure he had an idea of its general location. But he could never recall ever being invited to the place, or have even been graced with its specific location. Not that Caprice had ever said "No you can’t come here," or anything like that. But he always got the impression that not coming to Caprice’s home wasn’t exactly a bad thing either. At the time he realized this bit of trivia he and Gadget were still together, it had annoyed him at the time, but now... "So, where are the others?"

"They stayed until the Rangerwing was recharged. You had gotten worse and was to sick to move. So, I decided to let the others go on home..."

Chip blinked in surprise. * Recharge the Rangerwing!? * Chip, like all the other Rangers, had at one time or another, helped Gadget with the Rangerwing especially its batteries. They were fairly large and slightly bulky things to replace, and a bit of a pain to recharge. It was not as if they could just pull up to any electrical outlet and just plug themselves in. For a place to recharge the Rangerwing Gadget would have to tap into the local power line, make a (or install) a recharge unit, circuit breakers, switches and a whole host of other electrical, and mechanical additions. And that doesn't’t even take into account a place to land and store the Rangerwing itself! Chip sat up and made himself a bit more comfortable. "Recharge the Rangerwing? That must have been a hard thing to do without your equipment." Chip looked at her suspiciously. Certain ideas were forming in his head and he was not sure he liked what he was thinking.

Gadget looked at Chip sheepishly and slowly stood up. "Well I have made a few uh, modifications to the place."

Chip looked around the room as best he could, and though the layout was unfamiliar to him, he noticed that more than a few things in it were from Gadget’s personal belongings. "I’m quiet sure you've made yourself at home." Chip had tried to keep the sarcasm out of his voice. But when he looked at Gadget, her straight lip face had told him otherwise.

Before either of them could say anything, Caprice’s voice spoke through their silence. "Uh, Gadget? We have to make sure the tree is ready for the storm.." There was a short pause, then Chip bowed his head in contrition as Gadget walked stiffly towards Caprice’s side. Because he was still confined to the couch, he heard rather than saw the two leave the room. "That was stupid," Chip sighed to himself. His suspicions were confirmed. * Now what do I do?? *

* * * *

Caprice watched in silence as Gadget angrily secured that last of the storm shutters to her tree. The winds had picked up considerably since they started and the sky had become very ominous. It was only a matter of time before the rains came. Caprice wouldn’t have minded spending the next week or so with Gadget as they waited out the rain. But that wasn’t meant to be. As much as she was loathed to admit it, she just wished that Chip didn’t have to stay here. It was not that Caprice hated Chip, or anything. It was just that this place, her home, was sort of their special province. Somewhere Gadget and she could go and be themselves away from prying eyes. Not that she would've turn them away, but still...

Gadget let out a sigh as she tested the shutter doors, and applied the last of the weatherproofing seal she had made. She then looked up at the sky forlornly.

"So how did it go?" Caprice said timidly. She didn’t want to say something that would make the situation between her and Chip any worse. She had already been ringside to a few of their disagreements and wanted no part of it. Despite this, she knew that she would be part of whatever happened. * Comes with the territory I guess. *

"As good as can be expected I guess." Gadget slowly walked to the front door and fumed.

Caprice walked up to her and put her hand on her shoulder and gave her an affectionate pat. "Would it have been better for you to try and take him home in his condition?"

"No, staying here was the right choice! I just don’t understand why he can’t see that!"

Before Caprice could respond, the image of Gadget’s logic answers popped into her mind. *Chip is unhappy and/or...* It had been nearly a month since she had saw them, and the answers still haunted her from time to time. But they have never been so clear in her mind unlike today... "Uh, Gadget, maybe you’re being a bit to hard on him. After all..."

There was a short pause. then Gadget let out a sigh. "I guess your right... Maybe we can use this time for us to get to know one another better..."

Caprice frowned inwardly at that notion. Gadget had tried and tried to get Chip and her to become something more than just civil with each other but to no avail. And she was sure this arrangement wasn't’t going to help things along. But who was she to stop her. Caprice shook her head as she lead Gadget inside the tree. * Sigh the things I do for love. *

* * * *

Chip sat listlessly before a window and watched in a detached manner as the hurricane raged on. "Another day ending in rain, thunder, and hail," Chip said softly to himself. He felt like a fifth wheel here, despite Gadget and Caprice’s best efforts, he knew that they were just humoring him. Trying to give him something to do in a place that didn’t really need or want him there. Oh Gadget would deny it if he had said so (which he wouldn't’t). And despite what Caprice had said their first night there, he was sure that she was not all that comfortable with him around. Unfortunately the feeling was mutual as he was not all that comfortable being here. This domain is theirs, of this he had no doubt, and he had no place in it. Try as Gadget might, he just didn’t belong, and the more he saw them work and live together, the more he realized that this wasn't’t some melancholy fancy that he had dreamed up..

"Some storm . Huh."

Chip had not realized that Gadget was standing next to him until she spoke up. "Yes it is."

"Chip, are you feeling OK? You seem a little distant. Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing’s wrong. I’m just thinking..."

"About what?"

"The future, the Rangers. Me..." Chip muttered the last part of his sentence as he continued look out of the window. A long silence reigned between them before Chip spoke again. "Gadget..."

"Yes Chip?"

He turned towards her. "Does Caprice truly make you happy?"

".... Yes. Yes she does. She completes me."

Chip gazed at Gadget as a thoughtful look clouded his features. He then turned and faced the window again as the sound of thunder rumbled through the tree. "That’s... That’s good to hear. I’m happy for you." He looked at her. "I truly am. Though I don’t say it as often as I should."

Gadget looked at Chip with a mixture of happiness and confusion. "Uh, the weatherman said that the storm might break soon."

"He said that yesterday." Chip listlessly remarked. as he looked out the window once more

"Well if the hurricane lets up a bit we can try to go home."

"Home?" There was a long pause. "Home..." Thunder boomed in the distance

Gadget moved closer to Chip and put her hand on his shoulder to give him a friendly pat when she noticed his face was somewhat damp.

"What about Caprice?"

Gadget looked thoughtful. Her own eyes had watered a bit. "She'll be OK."

"Hmmm..."

"Don’t worry Chip. everything will work out in the end. You'll see, it will be OK."

Chip patted Gadget’s hand in an affectionate manner but continued to look out the window. "Thanks Gadget. You do what you think is best. Don’t worry about me."

"Would you mind if I did?"

There was a long moment of silence between them. "Gadget!? Can you come and help me in the kitchen?"

"You better go. Sounds like Caprice really needs you."

Not sure what else she could say. Gadget let her hand slip from Chip’s shoulder as she walked away from him and into the kitchen area. She turned and watched him for a moment through her watery eyes. Then silently disappeared into the kitchen as the sound of distant thunder rumbled through the tree.

* * * *

A flash of lighting, a roar of thunder, so began Gadget’s nightly ritual. Under normal circumstance she wouldn't’t have bothered. But the house needed to be inspected to make sure that all the seals were in place. With flashlight in hand Gadget walked through the dark rooms testing the seals and making sure everything was in place. Everything was OK, save for the lights, they didn’t work. At first she thought it was because they had broken a fuse. But when she looked out a window she saw that the whole park was dark. * The storm must have knocked out the power, * she thought to herself. While that was not a good thing to happen. The tree was safe, warm, and dry. She had plenty of batteries as well as food. So the fact that there was no electricity didn’t worry her. Chip on the other hand did.

The conversation that she had with him yesterday worried her. Yes she was happy that Chip finally began to accept Caprice and herself being together. But there was an unmistakable distance in his manner, the kind that she had not seen since their first talk after the incident, and it scared her. Gadget walked into the living room and silently watched a sleeping Chip. His features were barely visible in the gloom of night. But she could tell that he was not having a good night sleep. His covers were strewn all over the floor and couch and it was obvious to her that he had a fairly recent nightmare. With a sigh and a shake of her head, she began to pick up the blankets and cover Chip with them. She then sat in the chair that sat near the couch and she began to doze off.

Gadget woke with a startled cry, not that she could sleep all that well with the lighting and thundering of the storm. She unconsciously looked towards Chip his form was silhouetted by the brilliant pale blue flashes of lighting. Over the din of thunder she could hear him mutter dire incomprehensible words as another nightmare began to descended upon him. Without a second thought she went to his side and tried to comfort him with soothing words and gentle strokes of his head fur. But this did not calm him. As the sound of thunder die away Chip began to thrash about as his nightmare continued. Soon Gadget found herself trying to bodily restrain the Chipmunk, to keep him from hurting himself, or from falling off of the couch! "Chip!? wake up! it’s only a dream! A dream!!"

The chipmunk grappled against her as he tried to break away from her restraining body. But Gadget held him tightly as she became desperate to wake him up. "Chip! Wake up please!! Chip!!!"

With a sudden gasp, Chip’s eyes flew open! He looked around wildly as Gadget held him tight. Seeing that he was not going to hurt himself Gadget slowly let him go and turned herself to face him. As she did so Chip tried pushed himself into the corner of the couch as he continued to look around. But Gadget was able to hold him down. "Chip? Chip, its OK." When he didn’t respond to her, Gadget took his face gently into her hands and made him face her.

It took him several long seconds to recognize her as flashes of nearly silent lighting silhouetted Gadget’s face. "Where, Where am I? Wha... What are you doing here??" His breathing came is short raged gasps.

"It’s OK. Noting is going to happen to you," she soothed.

"Your not supposed to be here. It’s not safe!" Chip struggled to get up off of the couch, but his weakened condition made it very easy for Gadget to push him back down.

"It’s OK Chip. Your safe."

"But..."

"No one is gong to hurt you. You’re safe here."

"Safe? But what if..."

Gadget softly shushed him as she tucked Chip into his covers and made him comfortable. "It'll be all right ," she said softly.

."I’m.... Not...." Under Gadget’s ministrations Chip slowly began to drift back to a fitful sleep. The rest of his words became incoherent babbling then finally silence.

"Don’t worry Chip. I will guard your dreams....."

Chip, unconsciously, reached out and held Gadget’s hand. She looked at him tearfully as she slowly slipped her hand away from his. * I had no Idea.... Why didn’t Dale tell me? * Gadget wearily went back to her chair and sat in it.

"Gadget?" She looked up and saw the petite form of Caprice, silhouetted by a small candle, come towards her. Putting away her candle in a safe place she walked over to Gadget and gave her a hug. "Is he going to be all right?" Gadget let out a tearful sigh as she accepted Caprice’s hug gratefully and slowly told her what had happened.

"If its OK. I am going to wait out here for a while, just to be sure..."

Caprice looked at her compassionate eyes. "Of course," she whispered. "Can I stay as well?"

Gadget smiled at her and whispered "yes."

Caprice then disappeared into the gloom. There was a brief spasm of thunder and lighting before she returned with a extra chair and a large coffee pot. Gadget looked at her in curiosity even thought Caprice couldn’t see her enough of her face to read it. she knew that gadget was wondering what she had brought with her. "Some extra strength mocha. Just in case..."

Gadget grinned as she put it down on the night stand and sat next to her. Sometime during the night Caprice began to softly sing some old Celtic tune she had not heard before, and without warning, she went to sleep as the rays of the overcast sun started to peek above the horizon.

* * * *

Caprice shivered as she felt the warmth of her body being torn from her. At first she thought she was dreaming but the sounds of light rain and cold air told her body otherwise.

"Chip!! Chip where are you!?"

Gadget’s pitiful wail immediately brought her to consciousness. She quickly got up and saw the empty couch before her. Dreadful thoughts started to race before Caprice's mind. She quickly looked around and saw that the front door was wide open. Caprice ran to it and came upon a frightened Gadget holding some blankets. "Gadget? what happened!?

"He’s, gone..." And somewhere in the distance the sound of thunder rumbled.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 2: Dreamin

"Chip! Chip, where are you!" Gadget could barely hear herself over the din created by the howling winds that raced through the city park. For nearly an hour Gadget had trudged through waterlogged grass and artificially created rivulets that were nearly filled to its banks. She searched and searched for Chip but to no avail. with her strength nearly spent, she stopped to rest, and looked back the way she had come. * I really should go back. * Gadget thought to her self forlornly. * But I can’t! Chip is still out here!! * Gadget looked around soaking in the vista before her. The last few days of heavy rains, savage winds, and calamitous lighting had taken its toll on the park. More than a few trees were bowed low and firm grasslands and rolling fields were now waterlogged hazards and miniature lakes. She also saw several marks on the ground and on the broken trees in the distance. Testaments to the power of the lighting strikes that had hit the area. * Golly... and there is still more of the storm to come * Gadget looked up into the sky and noticed ominous clouds beginning to form * The eye of the storm won’t last long I hope the others will get here soon I need all the help I can get! * With a huff, and a look of determination, Gadget quickly made her way back to Caprice’s tree.

As Gadget approached the large gnarled oak which was Caprice’s tree. she saw Caprice returning to it in a self powered skatemobile (it was Caprice’s only means of transportation). While she was still to far off to make out any details, Gadget could easily see that Caprice had a full compliment of passengers with her. Nearly an hour earlier when Gadget had returned from her initial search for Chip, she knew that she was going to need help and fast! From she had heard on their battery powered radio the eye of the storm wasn't’t going to last so time was of the essence Of course the predictions of the weatherman had been untrustworthy (to say the least) and the eye had lasted longer than any one would expect. gadget couldn't’t get the Rangers and look for Chip. It was one or the other, Fortunately for her Caprice had her own vehicle, and with a few quick off-road modifications she was more than capable of going to Ranger Headquarters and getting the others. Gadget knew that the trip would be a long one. Even under good conditions it was at least twenty minutes from her tree to Ranger HQ and another twenty coming back! And with the park in its current shape Gadget knew that it would be a while before they would arrive. So she was very pleased to see that Caprice got back so soon.

As Gadget got closer she saw Monterey and Zipper help Caprice put away her skatemobile while Dale brought some wrapped bundles of unknown stuff into the tree. By the time she had reached the tree and walked into the front door everybody was already in the living room, all talking at once, and all talking to Caprice.

"And you let him go!?" said a highly agitated Dale as he paced around the room.

"Now hold on there Dale!" Said Monterey as he sat down on the room’s couch. "Caprice didn’t let him go. Chip was already gone when she woke up."

"How did he get out of his room?"

"He didn’t have a room Dale," Caprice said with an uneasy sigh.

"No room!?" Dale, Monterey and Zipper replied in unison.

Gadget saw the uncomfortable frustration on Caprice’s face heighten as she attempted to explain that by the time the others had left Chip’s condition had worsened so it was just safer to leave him where he was then try to move him. After a while it became obvious to her that Caprice had went through a similar inquisition on the way to the tree. And Gadget was definitely sure that tone in which Dale used to talk to Caprice was not to her liking!

Gadget loudly closed the door behind her as she stepped into the living room. All eyes turned towards her. "Guys why don’t you leave Caprice alone! It wasn't’t her fault that Chip disappeared. It was mine..." The Rangers looked at her in confusion. Gadget walked to the couch that Monterey was sitting on and sat down. With a small sigh she continued. "Chip was having problems the night before... I was supposed to be watching him but I fell asleep..." Gadget hung her head in shame as she said the last three words. She could swear she felt Dale’s disappointed gaze upon her back. Gadget looked up slightly and caught Caprice’s sympathetic gaze. Caprice silently urged her to continue. "I... I guess he must have sleep walked out the tree."

Monterey gave Gadget a forgiving pat on the back. "Don’t worry Gadget. We'll find Chip and he'll be back safe and sound."

"Thanks Monty." said Gadget as she gave the big mouse a warm hug. She looked over to Dale to see if he was OK. But Dale paid her no head. he just looked out a nearby window she could tell by his unusually quiet manner that he was deep in thought. "Dale? Is everything all right?"

There was a long pause before he answered her. "Well what we waiting around here for? Lets go and find him!" Without as second thought Dale went over to the bundle he had laid out near the door and picked up a rain coat.

"Dale, wait! We don’t have a plan!" Gadget yelled as he walked out the door.

"You guys talk to much!" said Dale as the door closed behind him.

Gadget looked at Monterey with concern. But he just shrugged his shoulders. "You go get him Monty, while I get some things we might need." With that said Monty went to the bundle and grabbed his raincoat and went outside. Gadget solemnly, yet quickly, went to a closet that held some raincoats and a first aid kit. She put on one of the coats, took the kit, and made her way back to the front door. When she got there Caprice stood by the entrance and watched her with concern and wariness.

Despite the seriousness of the situation Gadget tried to give her a smile of confidence that she was not totally sure she possessed. Caprice responded in kind and started to adjust Gadget’s coat.

"Now you be careful Gadget" caprice said nervously

"Don’t worry. Chip is as good as found no problems." Gadget then gave her an affectionate hug, and lightly kissed her forehead, before she went out the door.

* * * *

Monterey Jack was miserable, as miserable as a mouse could ever be. With a shiver and a grunt he pulled his raincoat close to him as the ice cold rains whipped past his body and across the park, driven relentlessly forward by the ferocious howling winds. Despite his best efforts chilly water still seeped into his already soaked fur. Were it not for the fact that the coat helped keep his body fairly warm (and "fair" was being generous) he would have had thrown it away in disgust for its primary of protecting him from the rain had been a joke! Even now, as he slogged through the muddy grass, he felt the coat’s ability to keep him warm was starting to fade as the storm’s icy fingers began to slowly strip away his body’s heat.

Monterey lifted his head and tried to see where he was. Even though he wore his trademarked flight cap, and had his goggles down over his eyes for protection, it did little to improve his vision. It was nearly pitch black, though most of the park’s light were still out, a single lamp still shined in the darkness. Monterey peered at the light, got his barring, and trudged on. The rains railed against him harshly as the winds began to gust. Monterey turned his back to the storm and tried hard not to think dark thoughts about this search for Chip.

Oh sure, it started out fine. They had quickly searched all the places near Caprice’s tree and were extending there search slowly outwards. But things became difficult when the eye of the storm finally passed and dark ominous clouds and their attending cold rains returned. It became hazardous when the sun went down and all references of place and distance disappeared (were it not for some lonely street lamp being his beacon in the darkness he was sure they would have become hopelessly lost). And now with the storm returning to its full strength...

A lighting bolt arced through the sky, and for a brief moment, its pale blue light lit up the heavens turning to night into day. At the same moment Monterey looked up, there in the distance, he saw a small female figure silhouetted by the flash. * Gadget! * Her name raced through his mind as he quickly moved towards the figure. The flash faded, the thunder boomed, and the sky became black once more.

* * * *

Booming thunder buffeted Monterey’s body as he approached the lone figure. There stood Gadget, her hair was whipped about by the wind, as she hugged herself tightly against the storm’s assault. Even in the gloom of night, Monterey could tell she had a worried look on her face.

"Gadget!? Gadget!!" As soon as the words left his mouth Monterey realized that they were being carried away by the wind and she couldn't hear him. He quickly steeped up to her, and gently but firmly, put his hands on her shoulders. Turning her towards him, he looked into her goggled eyes and saw the intense look of concern on her face. "Gadget, luv! We can’t stay out here much longer!" Monterey shouted so he could be heard over the din.

"Where’s Dale and Zipper?"

"They’re waiting for us over there!" He pointed through the gloom towards the direction he came.

"We can’t go Monty! Chip is still out here!!"

"But Gadget..."

"Please Monty, we have to find him!"

Monterey stammered for several seconds before answering. "Well, all right... Lets go get the others and we can look some more." With that said, Monterey guided Gadget through the darkness towards the place where the other Rangers were waiting.

* * * *

Gadget stood resolutely against the heavy rains and gusty winds as she continued her search for Chip. It had been nearly two hours since she convinced Monty and the others to keep searching. But the storm continued to gain strength and the terrain became extremely treacherous forcing the others to slow down and become more cautious (much to her frustration). Gadget looked around and sighted the lone lamppost shinning in the distance. She could barely see it through the sheets of rain that mercilessly raced through the park. She quickly continued on leaving the others far behind. But, despite her best efforts, Gadget soon found herself turning her back to the storm. *So cold...* Gadget shivered as she unconsciously hugged herself in a vain effort to keep her -soaked to the bone- body warm.

Lighting flashed faintly and thunder boomed in the distance. "Darn you Chip! Where are you," Gadget muttered as she turned to face the storm once more to continue her search. "Why do you have to be so stubborn!" She clutched her coat tightly. "Why can’t you just be there for me!?" She said as her anger began to rise. "Why can’t you just tell me what’s wrong!!" Gadget tilted her head towards the heavens, and with an inner fire born of frustration, fear, and concern, she shouted. "Why can’t you just be part of the family!!!"

There was a pause, for a brief moment in time between one second and the next, the storm stilled. The winds ceased their howling. The sheets of rain halted in mid stride, and the thunder and lighting held their breaths. For a brief moment in time between one second and the next, the powers that be. The powers that govern the fates of men and beast alike, looked down upon Trieanne Namid Hackwrench (who is known to the world as Gadget). Looked down upon this Daughter of earth and listened.

Oblivious to all around her, Gadget slowly sank to her knees. With tears running down her cheek, and head bowed low, she spoke. "What do I have to do for you to be part of my life."

There was a thoughtful consideration in the heavens. And then the moment passed...

* * * *

A lighting bolt arced through the sky. And for a moment its pale blue flash lit up the heavens turning night into day. There, in a storm created rivulet, Chip clung desperately to the edge of a steep grassy embankment trying hard not to be swept away by the tumultuous current. He raised his cold waterlogged head skywards as the light flashed and saw his salvation. High above him was a ledge. Chip could clearly see its outline even as the light started to fade and the sky became shrouded in darkness. With desperation setting in he grabbed the slick wet grass, and with a grunt and a mighty heave, he started to slowly haul himself up the embankment towards the ledge. He paid no heed to the lightning’s accompanying booming of thunder or the harsh driving rain. Chip Maplewood had more important things to worry about such as trying not to drown!

When Chip finally got to the lip of the ledge he quickly realized that he would need to use both legs to get over the lip. Chip glanced down at his left leg and grimaced. It was injured, he wasn't sure to what extent, but he knew it was in a bad way. It no longer throbbed with pain (though that could be due more to the cold than any kind of natural healing), and he could still move and use it (to a very limited degree). But walking was out of the question, and climbing... Chip looked around and tried to calmly asses the situation. *If I could just get a better grip, maybe shift around...* As soon as this thought entered his head, Chip’s instincts immediately told him that this was a fool’s move. It had took nearly all the strength he had to keep himself from being swept away in the river. And it was only by sheer adrenaline and willpower that had gotten him thus far! And his adrenaline was starting to fade.

Chip closed his eyes as stubborn determination settled upon his features. Gritting his teeth, he placed both feet in a pushing position, took a long breath, and began to count. "One.. Two... Three!!" With a mighty heave he began to climb up. But no sooner did he put pressure on his left leg than it became alive with excruciating pain! Chip tried to ignore it. Ignore his instinctive reaction to stop pushing. To let go and grab his hurting leg and make the pain stop! But he didn’t. He couldn’t! All he could do, as he hauled himself over the lip of the ledge and wedge himself into its grassy walls, was scream in agony! And somewhere in the distance thunder boomed in sympathy.

For several long minutes Chip laid there on the ledge. Half his body on the wet muddy ground and half nestled in the ledge’s grassy wall. He drew long ragged breaths as the sharp throbbing pain in his leg slowly began to subside. There was nothing Chip could do to protect himself from the elements. He had, long ago, lost his fedora hat and his jacket was thoroughly soaked. Chip slowly wiped the rain from his eyes and looked out into the gloom. Somewhere, out of his arc of vision, a lone light shined casting murky shadows on the landscape in front of him. Chip looked on as this strange hypnotic dance helped him to remember how he had gotten himself into this mess.

Chip had a particularly bad night. And he had found himself gasping as he suddenly woke up from his dream. It took him several minutes for his mind to come to grips that he was not at home, but safe. Safe in Caprice’s tree. For some reason he found that fact to be oddly ironic but he wasn't quiet sure why. When he looked around he Gadget and Caprice sleeping nearby in chairs. He wondered why they were here and not in their own beds sleeping. But the uncomfortable thought that his nightmares may have somehow wakened them and prompted their watching over him rankled him a bit. They looked so peaceful together that he didn’t have the heart (or felt he had the right ) to disturb them. Seeing pitcher of drink and an empty glass on the table near his bed he picked it up, and poured himself some of the pitcher’s contents. He wasn't sure what the beverage was but it smelled good. And, after drinking some, he felt energetic and refreshed! Walking over to a window he saw the sun peek through the dark gray sky. Shafts of light streaming down from the heavens and kissing the ground before him giving the park an unearthly yet peaceful beauty. So without a second thought he took his covers and stepped out the door. Chip didn’t remember how far he walked. Or even why he walked away from the tree. All he knew was looking up into the sky and enjoying the sights when he fell. Even before hitting the ground Chip knew that he had hurt his leg badly. The searing pain that raced through his body, as he came in contact with the unforgiving soil, only confirmed it. And of course it started to rain... He tried to walk back to the tree. But the combination bad leg, and worsening weather conspired against him! Then he fell into that stupid river...

Chip shivered as he tried to focus on the here and now. He attempted to get up and get a better look at what was going on around him. But his strength had left him. "I guess I'll just. Just rest," he panted as he unconsciously gathered as much of himself into the grassy walls of the Ledge as he could. "Rest here.. For a while..."

As he did so there was a pause, for a brief moment in time between one second and the next, the storm stilled. The winds ceased their mournful wailing. The hammering rain withheld its blows. And the thunder and lighting stilled their speech.

~~

And then there was silence... A calm tranquillity of such intensity that Chip popped open his eyes in wonder! Chip slowly got to his feet and looked around. He stood in a large clearing of emerald green grass that was bounded by oak and pine trees. A crisp spring breeze fluttered through the trees swaying them in a casual carefree manner. For some reason Chip was not surprised at his surroundings. Or the fact that he was standing there and enjoying the warm sunlight as it filtered through the trees. * I think I've been here before, * he sighed contentedly.

The trees swayed once more as a breeze fluttered through them. Its soft fingers caressed Chip’s bare body, carrying with it a sent of roses and fresh up-turned earth in its wings, and something else... Chip strained his senses to understand this new sensation. It was a voice, soft, feminine, haunting, singing a song in a language he never heard before, yet somehow, could almost understand. Chip looked around, determined where the music was coming from, and set off into the woods towards its source.

Chip soon found himself walking on a well used grassy trail that led to a small field. There, standing on a rock, was a young field mouse girl (barely older than he). She had brown fur and black hair and was singing the strange haunting tune that floated through the forest. She wore a simple snow white sun dress that was trimmed in gold. And whenever the sun’s rays filtered through the gently shifting trees and hit her, the dress reflected the light with a bright hypnotic radiance.

Chip stood entranced as she sang. Her euphony filled his sprit with a strange, clear headed, serenity. Chip slowly blinked his eyes as recognition leisurely flowed over his features. He knew this person! Chip was not sure how, or from where, but he knew her! He was sure of it. As sure as he knew his own name! There was a slight pause in her singing as she gathered her breath to begin another verse. Chip Timidly walked up to her as she began to sing her strange aria once more. The music to filled the air, lifted aloft by the breeze, and carried away to unknown places in the forest. Chip closed his eyes and listened to the song, felt it in his heart, and for some reason unknown to even him he began to sing.

Chip had no idea what kind of song he was singing, or the language that he was saying. But he knew it, understood it, somehow. As the song reached its crescendo, and the last note died away with the breeze, Chip heard a slight gasp of delight. He opened his eyes and saw that the mouse girl was looking at him with a pleased expression on her face. Chip blushed furiously as he looked down in embarrassment. "I’m sorry, I, uh... I mean, uh... Ahem... Tha, that’s, that’s a nice song..." Chip stammered.

The girl looked at him with a smile as she watched Chip try to regain his composure. "Thank you. it is a song from the heart, sad, yet hopeful. You seem to know the song very well. And you sing it very soulfully."

Chip blushed some more. "Th, thank you," he murmured. "I, I hope I’m not interrupting. I mean..."

She looked at him fondly, and slowly blinked her eyes as he said his apologies. "That is OK, Chip Maplewood. You are always welcomed here." She then sat down on the lip of the rock, and folded her hands in her lap. All the while giving Chip her undivided attention.

"Do, do I know you?" Chip’s curiosity was returning. He stared at her face, and try he might, he couldn’t remember where he saw her. Or why she seemed so familiar. Of course the fact that she started to lean towards him so that her youthful face, with its Captivating earth toned eyes and long silky black hair, was tantalizingly close. did nothing to help his brain concentrate on such mundane things such as facts. "You see, seem, uh, familiar..." Chip’s voice faded away leaving only a idiotic smile in its place.

The mouse slowly blinked her eyes and continued to look at him with her full attention. "Yes," she said in a husky voice. "You know me very well."

Chip felt a toothy grin bubble up from inside of him. And as he smiled he was delighted to see the mouse girl respond in kind.

The mouse girl then slowly got down from her rock and stepped towards the chipmunk. Chip suddenly found himself standing very close to her and the only thing he could think of was that she smelled like fresh spring flowers.

The mouse girl confidently reached out and slowly stroked Chip’s cheek fur. Chip held his breath in anticipation and gasped, as her strong yet soft hand, touched him. "Think of me a muse, or a guide. Here to help you through your difficult times." She looked deeply into Chip’s brown eyes as she said this.

Chip stammered in confusion, not sure what he could or should, say to her. The mouse girl, seeing his discomfort and confusion, held his head with both of her hands and quietly shushed him. Looking deeply into his eyes she softly spoke. "You are a very lonely and empty person aren't you." Chip looked down in shame as he nodded slightly. He felt a cold shiver spread over him as she continued to speak. "And the one you thought was your true love has left for another..." Chip started to slump down to the ground as she said this to him. His cold shivers slowly started to spread over his body. and the smell of cold, wet, earth filled his nose. "And in doing so has taken a part of your heart that makes you who you are." She gave a sad sigh as she helped Chip lay down on the ground. Chip looked up into the girl’s sad tearful eyes. He felt his heart break at the fact that just being there had caused her pain. Chip looked down, shame faced, he didn’t want her to see him. The mouse girl gaze at him dolefully as she sat next to him and whispered into his ear. "Chip Maplewood, don’t despair. Nobody lives without love and you will live again."

"How can I? I feel so empty inside..." Chip said softly. "So cold.." Chip closed his eyes and curled in on himself as he felt ice cold water seep through him stealing his warmth.

A look of concern raced across the girl’s features as she sat closer him and hugged him for all her worth. "I know that it’s hard for you. And the ghosts of what might have been cast there long shadows upon you. But hold on Chip! Just a little longer." she slowly began to stroke his head fur trying comfort him. He stirs a little at her touch. But not much. "Just a little longer..."

~~

The powers that govern the fates of men and beast alike, looked down upon Chip Maplewood. Looked down upon this Son of earth, and listened.

"So tired..." Chip unconsciously reached up to hold her and felt a strange velvety paw (?) clutch him with a rough tightness. Chip stumbled as this person picked him up and half dragged half forced, him to walk through a, now cold dark, and rainy forest.

"Please Chip! I can’t do this by myself!" The female voice wailed in concern.

There was a long thoughtful pause. *Nobody lives without love...* And with great effort Chip attempted to stumble along with this mystery person.

"Just a little longer..." said a female voice he sort of recognized. there was a hint of fear and optimism in her voice. "Just a little longer..."

There was a thoughtful consideration in the heavens. And then the moment passed...


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 3: Breakdown

Monty wiped away the cold rainwater from his face in a vain attempt to clear his goggled face and give him a clear view of what was going on around him. There was a change in the air, Monterey was not sure how or why. But every instinct he had told it was so. Instincts that he has relied on time and again throughout his adventuring career to keep him safe and warn him of danger. And it told him that their presence was no longer welcome here! That it was time to go home and be safe.

He had waited as much as he could for Gadget to decided what she wanted to do about the search for Chip. Monterey knew what his answer was but he didn’t like it. It went against everything he stood for! But there was a cold harsh logic to it. One that not even he could just ignore. * Monty, how can we help Chip. If we are the ones who are in trouble!! * Monterey let out a sigh as he looked around for Gadget. Whether he liked it or not. They had to go, and they had to go now!

For some reason the storm seemed to pause, and for a moment, he thought the weather was going to change maybe give them a break. But it just continued and it seemed to get more violent by the minute! Now wasn’t time for thinking. And, as much as he hated to do this, he was going to get Gadget and they were going to go back Caprice’s tree. Whether she wanted to or not!

Pulling his -totally soaked- Trench coat tightly to him Monterey trudged against the increasingly heavy rains and stiff winds. Going in the last direction he saw Gadget walk, he saw her, in the distance. Her figure was silhouetted against the dim light cast by the lonely lamp post. She was on her knees and her face was in her hands. It looked to him as if she was crying? Or was it prayer? He wasn’t sure the night and rain seemed to play tricks on his eyes.

Despite the storm Monterey walked, as reverently as possible, to Gadget’s kneeling form. He bent down in front of the mouse and put his arms around her in a very fatherly fashion. "Gadget??" he said softly.

"Monty... I..."

Monterey swallowed hard. "Gadget.... We have to go.." Monterey wasn’t sure she heard him over the storm’s din. But when she looked up at him her eyes burned with stubborn determination.

"Monty, how can you say such a thing," she yelled as thunder and lighting shook the park. "We can’t leave Chip out here in the storm!"

Monterey held Gadget’s shoulders gently, but with a firm grip. "If we stay out here any longer they’re going to have to send somebody to find us!"

Gadget tore herself from the big mouse’s hands as she stood up and backed away from him. "How could you Monty! I’m not giving up on him!"

"Gadget, please," Monterey yelled after her as she turned away from him.

Gadget frantically called out Chip’s name, as she walked aimlessly around in the semi gloom of the storm. Hoping that, some how, he would hear her voice over the storm’s tumultuous cacophony of rain and thunder.

Monterey steeled himself against the storm’s continuos onslaught as he watched Gadget’s futile undertaking with a heavy heart and a lump in his throat.

Gadget looked around in the darkness trying to find some sign of Chip. Finally her eyes rested upon Monterey’s sorry tired form. She looked at him in anguish and silently pleaded with him to help her. With great difficulty the big mouse moved against the driving rain and stood before Gadget. She could barely make out his features in the gloom. But she could sense his resignation to the inevitable, as well as, the extreme worry for her safety. "I can’t just let it go Monty..."

"I know."

"He depends on me. I got to save him!"

Monterey bowed his head in thought for second then looked at Gadget in the eye. "Yeah, well, what about Caprice? "

"She would understand..." Gadget said tearfully

"I know she would. But Are ya willing ta jeopardized that love?"

Flashes of lighting, and the roar of distant thunder, filled the long agonized pause between she and Monterey. Gadget’s shoulders slumped forward as she slowly bowed her head and slightly sobbed.

Monterey stepped forward and hugged Gadget tightly with all the fatherly might he could muster. "I know, Gadget... I know. Come on.. We have to go..."

"It’s not fair!" Gadget sobbed into Monterey’s chest as he led her away. "It’s not fair. I shouldn’t have to choose between them.. Not fair..."

Monterey said nothing as he hugged Gadget tightly, and led her to where Dale and Zipper were waiting.

* * *

Gadget watched helplessly, as Monterey and Caprice solemnly examined her bed ridden friend, Dale. They had already looked at Zipper, and it was not good, maybe Dale will be different. But from looks on Monterey’s face... Gadget felt a cold lump of dread form in the pit of her stomach.

"Capsie? Monty?" Her voice faltered a bit. "What's the matter with Dale?"

The big mouse turned towards Gadget and looked at her sadly. Caprice walked over to her beloved, kneeled down behind her, and gave her a heartfelt hug. "Sorry Gadget luv. But, it looks like Dale has it as well."

Gadget slumped down in the chair she was sitting in and looked at the chipmunk in the bed. Fear and concern shadowed her face. "Pneumonia..." Caprice gave her a sympathetic hug which calmed Gadget’s nerves. Gadget held her love’s hands close to her as she remembered there harrowing flight back to the tree.

It was a long nasty trek, over rain soaked grass, through dangerously muddied fields, in a fierce heartless storm. On more than one occasion they had become lost and had to backtrack and find their way to the right path that led home. But they had made it back safely. Or so they thought. it was during dinner, after they had settled in for the night, that they had noticed Dale was not eating as much as he usually did (which in it self was highly unusually). And soon afterwards he started a surprisingly violent coughing fit that shocked and distressed Gadget to no end! Now she knew why.

"Is there anything we can do?" Gadget asked forlornly.

Monterey sighed and sat down on the corner of Dale’s bed. "Not much we can do. Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. We don’t have any medicines strong enough to help Dale." The big mouse looked at his friend with concern. "Looks like we are just gonna have to let it run it’s course."

Gadget looked at the bed ridden chipmunk with dismay. * First Chip, now Dale, and Zipper... * Gadget sat back and trembled as the concept of a, "lung infection," and its implications for her two friend’s long term survival.

Caprice felt Gadget tremble in her arms. She slowly walked around to face her and kneeled in front of the chair. Caprice looked up into her love’s listless face. She saw the fear, felt the dread, Caprice had a good idea of the fearful things that were going through her mind. Tenderly she took Gadget’s hand in hers and gently spoke. "Gadget." She paid no attention to her. "Gadget?" when Caprice got no response she reached up and held the younger mouse’s face with both hands, and slowly, sensitively made Gadget look at her. "Gadg, it’s going to be all right."

"But..."Gadget stammered tearfully.

Caprice shushed her as she wiped the tears from her face. "Monty, and I know what we are doing. We might not have the medicines. But I have enough herbs and teas to take care of them."

Gadget looked deep into Caprice’s sympathetic eyes. "Wha. What about Chip?" She said with a silent sob.

"It’ll be all right, Gadg." Caprice reached up and began to hug her tenderly. "we’ll think of something..."

* * *

Monterey tried hard not to cough. He had not been totally successful doing this, but he didn’t want Gadget to worry, she has more than enough problems without adding his trivial plight it. It had started when he started to go outside to check the tree to make sure it was still safe and secure. And while he was out there. It also gave him the excuse he needed to look for Chip. Though he had to make sure he didn’t stray to far from the tree so he could get back before Gadget or Caprice got too worried about him. He only went outside twice and was prepared to do it again. But the urge to cough was to grate to ignore. And Gadget had just entered the living room!

"Cough! Cough!!"

"Monty," Gadget exclaimed in alarm.

"What?"

Gadget rushed over to him and put her hand on his head.

"Aww come on Gadget, I feel fine!" Monterey puffed out his chest and sucked in a big breath of air. "See!" He coughed slightly as he gave her a big self confident smile. But the younger mouse paid him no heed as she concentrated on her task.

"Monty! You have a fever! Did you know that?" She gave him an extremely worried look as she said this.

"Fever!? Well I have been feeling a little light headed but..." No sooner did Monterey said those words than Gadget grabbed his wrist in a vice like grip and began to take him to one of the many spare rooms that Caprice had in her tree. "Now hold on there Gadget," Monterey coughed. The big mouse stumbled as Gadget increased her speed and nearly dragged him to the nearest room. "Slow down! Your going to fast!"

Gadget burst into the room, threw back the bed covers, and with surprising strength, flipped Monterey on to the bed and pulled the covers over him. "Now I want you to stay there," she said firmly cutting off all of Monterey’s protest. "I will be right back to take care of you." The big mouse once again attempted to protest his treatment. But somehow Gadget had produced a thermometer and stuck it in his mouth. Leaving Monterey with nothing to do but lay back and sigh.

It was three hours later when Gadget finally stumbled into the living room and flopped on to the couch. Caprice sat on the opposite side and looked at her love trying to still her own emotions. There were things that she needed to be said and questions that had to be asked. But She wanted to let Gadget rest her mind and body before dumping these new problems on her. After about two hours of absolute quiet Caprice gently spoke up.

"Is Monty, OK?"

Gadget shook her head sadly. "He’s got it too..."

Caprice bowed her head and sighed. "Well, I do have enough herbs and stuff for everybody..."

"I shouldn’t have let him go outside," Gadget muttered harshly to herself.

Caprice moved over to Gadget’s side of the couch and hugged her lovingly. "There is nothing you could’ve done. He had to go out and check on things. Too keep us safe."

"I know, but..." Gadget sighed into Caprice’s shoulder

Caprice silently stroked the younger mouse’s hair to calm her. "Uh, Gadget. I think that I know why Monty stayed outside so long."

Gadget looked at her in askance.

Caprice released the younger mouse and reached behind the couch and produced a slightly damp fedora.

Gadget gasped as she reverently took the hat from Caprice’s hand. There was a long pause as she looked at it, and then looked outside.

Caprice watched Gadget with trepidation. She knew what Gadget was thinking. And though Caprice couldn’t blame her for wanting to rush out in to the night and look for Chip. She knew that it was not only a foolish thing to do. But dangerous as well. Where would Gadget start to look? Sure she could ask Monty. But he was took feverish to do anything but sleep. "What do you want to do, Gadget?" Caprice finally asked.

Gadget looked towards Caprice, then at the hat, then out the window. She then turned and walked out of the living room and went to Monterey’s sick bed. gadget quietly opened the door and looked down upon the sleeping form of the mouse that was the closest thing to a loving Parent in this world.

Caprice slowly walked into the room and saw gadget kneeling beside a sleeping Monterey and quietly sobbing. "Oh, Gadget..." Caprice walked over to her and light stroked her hair.

Gadget looked tearfully at her beloved. The look of helplessness and fear broke caprice’s heart. With out saying another word Caprice picked gadget up and helped to a large chair that was siting in the room. As they sat down, Gadget intimately embraced caprice. "What am I going to do?" She sobbed into Caprice’s chest. "I can’t leave them to go look for Chip. There are too sick for one person to handle alone. But Chip is still out there! If I stay to take care of Monty and the boys. Chip could, could...." For several long minutes, Gadget cried as she tried to resolve her Dilemma.

Caprice slowly cupped Gadget’s face in her hand and looked at her. "Gadget..." The words choked in her mouth. "Stay here."

"But Chip...."

"You can’t help him. Not by yourself." She felt her heart ache as she said it.

"But..."

"You don’t even know where to start looking. And Monty is to sick to tell you." She silently winced at the thought of using Monty to persuade her.

Gadget looked towards the sleeping mouse.

"Gadget, I can’t take care of all of them by myself." * I’m sorry Chip! *

"....."

"They need you." Caprice cupped Gadget’s face once more and looked directly in to her blue tear filled eyes. "I need you," she pleaded.

There was a long uneasy pause. Gadget looked at Chip’s hat mournfully, then at Monterey, and back at the hat again. She remembered what Chip had told her almost two days ago;

"Thanks Gadget. You do what you think is best. Don’t worry about me."

His words rang in her head. Gadget looked at the fedora, as fresh tears of pain and loss, fell upon it. She turned and buried herself in Caprice’s loving embrace as she sobbed incoherently.

Caprice held her beloved tightly and silently wept. * I’m sorry Chip. She has to stay here. I’m sorry... *

* * *

The crackle of lighting, the booming thunder, and unrelenting ice cold wind and rain pounded upon Foxglove’s poor disheveled body. But she took no notice of it. She had far more important concerns such as figuring out how to get a battered, soaking wet, chipmunk body up a tree and into safety without getting themselves killed!

The small female bat sighed as she looked up towards the entrance to Rescue Rangers Headquarters. It would be a bit of a climb to get there in this weather. She had considered setting Chip down by the entrance of the Rangermobile ramp then going inside and opening it and take him upstairs. But she looked at the chipmunk’s ragged form she decided not to. Despite the din raised by the storm Foxglove’s bat instincts made her aware of Chip’s condition. He was cold, wet, and tired it was only because she was hugging him so close (to share each others body warmth, as well as, using her wings to give him some protection from the storm) that Chip was barely able to have the strength to make it all the way home. She knew that if she left him for more than five minutes... Well, she didn’t want to think about that.

Foxglove half dragged, half walked, Chip over to the lee of the tree. Protected from the worst of the storm she let out a slight sigh of relief as she hugged Chip for warmth and mutual safety. Being so close, she was able to listen to Chip’s body easily, and made sure that he was still alive. His breathing was shallow, and his heart rate was slow, but both were steady.

Foxglove peered at Chip’s face as she wiped off the excess water from his fur. Chip’s eyes were nearly closed and his mouth was slightly ajar. Foxglove wondered what were the bizarre circumstance that got Chip out in weather like this. And why he was laying down on the edge of a riverbank freezing to death. Maybe it was not any stranger than what got her out on a night like this.

She was hungry at the time. Not starving or anything like that. But hungry just the same. Foxglove had saw that the storm was coming and decided that she wanted to wait out the storm in Dale’s company. Since it was not unusual for her just show up she decided to do so. And with the type of storm that was coming the Ranger’s oak tree was the safest place she could think of. Unfortunately when she got there nobody was home. * Out on a case.* She had surmised and she decided to wait for them.

When they returned, Monty and Dale explained what had happened and told her everything was going to be, OK. and so it was, until she woke up one day and found that everybody had gone! She found Dale’s not telling her that they had to go to Caprice’s place but not why. So she waited, and waited, and waited. Finally she decided to go out for a quick flight, and maybe catch some juicy ground bugs or something while she was outside. The food that the Rangers had was good. But, after a few days of it, she was starting crave something different. So it was, that she found herself flying around catching juicy ground bugs and enjoying herself. So intent was she in doing this, that she forgoten about the weather, and got caught in the storm. On her way back, she found her friend Chip, lying in the wet grass and mud, on a storm made river bank.

Foxglove listened to Chip once more and became concerned. He sounded, OK, but his body language told her something different. Suddenly Foxglove became unsure he could make it to the front door. The climb to was going to take a lot out of effort. Even more than the walk! But they couldn’t stay here forever! Foxglove waited a few more minutes, gathered her strength, and (putting Chip’s arm around her neck), began to make her way up to the entrance and safety. She just hoped Chip would still be alive when she got there.

* * *

Thunder boomed, and lighting danced across the heavens, as Foxglove used the last of her body’s reserves of strength to fling open the front door to the Rescue Rangers Headquarters. She leaned against the open portal, desperately clutching Chip, as she rested for a few seconds. When she had caught her breath she began to, half drag half walk, a terribly weak and semiconscious chipmunk through the front door. Once she was sure they were inside Foxglove decided that taking Chip all the way to his own bed was not such a good idea. She knew that her friend had went beyond the limits of his endurance to get this far. He could barely walk (even with her assistance), and ,she surmised, it was only through sheer stubbornness, and her continuos encouragement’s, that he was able to hold on to her for so long! He needed to rest and soon! She swept the conference room with her echolocation senses and saw the couch. *Close enough! *

"Come on Chip. Just a few more inches." Foxglove let out a most undignified grunt as she dragged/carried Chip to the top of the short flight of steps that led down into the conference room. Just as they were about to walk down, a cold gust of wind and freezing rain, raced through the still open front door and assailed Foxglove and Chip. The female bat lost her balance and the two went tumbling down the stairs! Foxglove winced as Chip let out a pain filled "yelp" as the two slid down the steps. When they reached the bottom she found herself a top of Chip, and for the briefest of moments, she felt extremely self conscious and embarrassed about being on him in this position. But the chipmunk’s groan of pain, and the booming of thunder, brought back the harsh reality of the situation to the fore part of her brain. * Chip is hurt! Maybe even dying!! Now isn’t the time to worry about modesty!!! *

Ignoring the harassing wind and rain that continued to stream through the door. Foxglove checked the chipmunk’s wounds to see if the fall had made them any worse. Using her bat senses she found no new wounds on her friend. But several of the older ones were made slightly worse because of the fall. Foxglove muttered several "I’m sorry." as well as a few "I didn’t mean to..." and other apologies as she desperately tried to bring her friend around to consciousness. She quickly came to the conclusion that laying at the foot of the steps and being pelted by ice cold wind and rain was not helpful. She got up and carefully walked up the steps to the front door and closed it. She then went and, with grate difficulty, dragged Chip to the couch and laid him down upon it.

After checking and binding his wounds, and cleaning him up as best she could (she is a bat after all). Foxglove went to the room he shared with Dale, got his blankest and covers, and made him comfortable. Before she left to fix herself up. Foxglove wearily stepped back and gave her friend one last scan with her echolocation power. *He’s going to be, OK.* She smiled to herself and then left to tend to her owns wounds and needs.

* * *

Dull gray sunlight, listlessly streamed, through the windows and illuminated the interior of Rescue Ranger Headquarters, when Chip finally awoke hours later. Normally this would have been a welcome sight for him, after the things that he had went through, but it wasn’t. He had other more important things on his mind besides being home, safe, and sound on a comfy couch. His safety was a given, somehow, something inside his heart reassured him of this fact.

* I’m home....* Chip thought dully. He looked up at the ceiling and scowled, as half remembered memories, forbidding feelings, and conflicting ideas danced before his mind’s eye. Like little devils they pranced before him. Each one poked, prodded, and teased his soul with their nonsense musings conflicting advice, and prickly commentary. Under normal circumstances Chip would have ignored them. There chaotic ramblings had no place in a well ordered mind such as his. Besides, all they did way mock him! In a infuriatingly gentle voice, that often sounded like Caprice, they would mock him. * What fool this mortal be! * They would laugh in his ear. Or even worse, * I told you so! * This was especially true when relationship issues with Gadget would take, yet another, heart aching turn. Or when Caprice would, somehow, be inserted into some non work related activity such as a picnic, or going out to eat. Though, he supposed, that is only natural considering their connection to each other. Now a days, their new mocking chant was * To be, or not to be...*

Logical thinking, deductive reasoning, and unemotional weighing of the facts. These were the tools Chip used to keep his mind ordered, his little devils being the only exception. But no longer! He was tired of them. tired of their mocking laughter. Tired of their haunting his dreams. Tired of their unsaid threats! Chip wanted them, needed them, to leave him alone!!

Chip scowled once more at the ceiling. His eyes burned with determination as he set his mind to the task of trying to interpret the enigma of these little devils. Slowly he calmed himself and blocked out all other thoughts that would distract him from his task. Until all that was left was three voices.

"What do you want from me? Why won’t you leave me alone!?"

* To be, or not to be.... * said the first voice.

"I already answered that question. I’m not the brother she wants me to be. I’m, just. Just, a friend.. Nothing more..."

* And what are you prepared to do about that? *

Chip stammered incoherently about future plans, things to do, even trying become better friends with Caprice.

* Oh goody! It’s nice to know that our future life hinges upon the "happily ever after" of Gadget & Caprice. * Said a second voice sarcastically.

* He might as well. It’s not as if our work means anything anymore. * said a third voice.

"What are you talking about? I love being a Rescue Ranger!"

* I know, we are at the top of our profession. But now what!? I mean, what is the use of being on top. If we no one to share it with. *

"What do you mean, no one to share it with! I have friends! Dale, Monty, Zipper, Gadget..."

* I am sure they are very good friends. * Said the first voice. * But at the end of the day, when all is said and done. We are going to our corner of the room, to our bed, alone. What are you prepared to do about that? *

"We. We, just have to make some adjustments that’s all," Chip stammered. "I still do Ranger work. And Gadget said she still wants to share her life with me.. We still have a life together, sort of.... I mean, I’m still in her heart and everything is working out."

* Sheesh! What a loser. * said the second voice in contempt.

* Loser! Loser!! loser!!! * Chanted the third.

"I’m not a loser!" yelled Chip in indignation.

* your right. * Sneered the second voice. * In order for you to be a loser You would’ve had to actually have had a chance to win in the first place!! Lets face facts, you were a "dead chipmunk walking" and you didn’t even notice. And now we are going to spend the rest of our natural born days doing work that has no meaning to us, mooning over Gadget, and sucking up to Caprice! Is this what our life has come down to!? *

* A pathetic existence if you ask me. * Said the third voice.

There was a long silence as Chip struggled to come up with some kind of retort. "... Yeah, well... Gadget, and I still care about each other. I mean we.. She..." The voices chuckled evilly as Chip stammered some incomprehensible reasons why Gadget, and he could still be together.

* Gadget, Gadget. Gadget! * Mocked the second voice.

* Gadget, Gadget. Gadget!! * The third voice chimed in.

* Gadget, Gadget. Gadget!!! * They chanted on.

"Stop it!!" yelled Chip in annoyance and frustration.

* My brothers! My brothers, please!! * The voices became quiet. * Will we concede that Chipper does consider Gadget to be a, ahem, "dear friend"?? * A slight chuckle floated in from nowhere.

* Nay! * said the second voice.

* Yea! * said the third.

* Well, a split vote. It would appear that their is more to this than meets the eye. Are you sure you have told us everything, Chipper? *

"Yes I have," Chip said in an uncertain voice.

* LIAR! * Roared the third voice.

* LIAR!! * Roared the second voice.

* LIAR, LIAR, LIAR!!! * They chanted the words over and over until Chip felt his head would burst from the pressure of their accusations.

"I am not," he tried to yell over the din.

* LIAR! * All three screamed in unison.

"What do you want from me!?" Chip pleaded.

* Your still in love with Gadget! Aren’t you!. * said the second voice.

"Well, I, uh..."

* Don’t insult our intelligence by lying to us!" Said the third voice accusingly.

* You can not escape yourself . * Said the first. * To be, or not to be! *

There was a long pause. "I. No.. I mean, yes... But...." Chip stammered a bit before he finally let out a long self-conscious sigh. "Yes. Yes I’m still in love with Gadget. Not as a brother.. Not as a friend..." Chip felt a flush of embarrassment, betrayal, and relief wash over him.

* And what are you prepared to do, * the second voice asked gently.

"I. I can’t be who Gadget thinks I am. I’m in love with her and I can’t change the way that I feel about that. I, still want to be close to Gadget. Even if it’s only as a friend. But knowing how I feel about her... It. It’s just going to cause trouble for the both of us later on. I’m certain of it.

The second voice became still and faded away from Chip’s mind.

"I like my work. Helping others.. Being a Rescue Ranger..." Chip let a long mournful sigh. "But, it’s. It’s just not enough, no matter how hard I’ve tried, I’m still going to my room alone." Chip closed his eyes and sighed once more as silent tears unconsciously slipped down his cheeks.

The third voice became stilled. And faded away from Chip’s mind.

* And what are you prepared to do to about that?? * Said the first voice harshly.

Chip looked towards the ceiling once more and said through a straight lip and firm jaw. "I’m not sure yet. But, I have an idea." And somewhere deep within his mind. The seed of an answer began to grow.

* Very well brother. But we expect an answer. * said the first voice as it started to fade from Chip’s mind.

Chip slowly closed his eyes and curled up in a fetal position on the couch as sleep airily drifted upon him. And, for the first time in nearly two years, Chip slept with a deep, peaceful, and hearty contentment.

Chapter Three

Back to the stories