The Service Part Two Chapter One

Brotherhood is not just a Bible word.

Out of comradeship can come,

and will come, the happy life for all.

The underdog can, and will,

lick his weight in the wildcats of the world.

--Heywood Broun, [The Fifty-first Birthday]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 1: The New Deal

Chip squinted his eyes as he attempted to pierce through the mist and drizzle of dense dark green Forrest. The sublime smell of fresh earth, combined with the heady fragrance of the Forrest itself caressed his nose in an intoxicating manner. It was a pleasant sensation. One that he would've enjoyed more, if he cared.

For nearly eight days Chip had been traveling. Five days sailing on the human ship. Two days in the city of Juneau waiting for another ship to take them to the Tongass national park. And, another day of walking till they got to the military training camp. While he did appreciate the view. What he wanted most was to eat and sleep!

Chip sighed as he looked over the so called ‘camp’. The place was clustered around a huge moss covered oak tree that was surrounded by shrubs, undergrowth, and several smaller trees of various widths and heights. While the place looked impressive. He still thought the location was too small for the nearly one thousand rodents that made the trek up to the place. * No way can they train all these people here. I don’t see any places for them to go. *

Chip was brought out of his day dreaming by the sharp tapping of a snare drum and the yells of the sergeants as they herded the huge group to a clearing in front of the big oak tree. There before him stood a large platform with a group of uniformed animals standing in front of it. * I wonder what’s going on. * Nearly two minutes later Chip got his answer.

* * *

"Regiment! Attention!!" Shouted a sergeant. All of the uniformed animals (and a few of the mice in the group) instantly stood up straight with their paws at their sides. The rest of the group however was slow to respond, promoting scornful looks from the sergeants and others.

A tall squirrel, dressed in a dark blue double breasted frock coat -trimmed in gold- with a wide brim hat, walked formally in front of the assemblage of animals. Taking no notice of them, he kept his movements in time with the martial taping of the snare drums and made his way to the top of the platform. When the drums stopped a somber hush fell upon all present. He put his paws behind his back, and surveyed the crowd for several seconds before speaking.

"My name, is Colonel Mathias. I’m your commanding officer. Welcome to the 10th Foot Cavalry Regiment. While this is a fairly new regiment, we have been in more than our fair share of battles. And, we have triumphed against the most difficult odds. and performed above and beyond the call of duty. Our officers and sergeants are experienced, and will train you to their best of their abilities. So that when our regiment is deployed, you will be prepared for the missions our regiment will face."

Colonel Mathias paused as he looked over the assemblage. Then, in an even fatherly voice, he continued. "Now, I won’t lie to you. The work we do is hard, dangerous, and sometimes done for people who are ungrateful for your help. Or, will never know the sacrifices you have made for your labors. But, we are not here for parades, or flattery, or even for criticism. What we are here for is to serve and protect the citizens of our animal federation. Protect them from the depredations of raiders and predators. Serve them by helping them survive the harsh winters. Helping build new communities. And, rebuilding communities that have been devastated by the weather, and other forces of nature."

He turned away and began to slowly pace back and forth. "Now, I don’t know your reasons for being here. And frankly, I don’t care. If you feel that you need to talk this out. Our regimental chaplain is here to help you with all of your emotional, and spiritual needs." He then turned and faced them. "But, I will tell you this. The Service takes care of its own! This regiment, is your family now. We will take care of you, train you, heal you, even teach you how to take care of yourselves. And maybe, just maybe, help you find a better life than this." he looked over the crowd once more, and slowly nodded to himself. "Captains," he said as he turned towards the officers. "You may begin the formation of your troops."

No sooner did he say this then a mouse with a megaphone yelled out. orders. And the officers and their sergeants exploded with action as they waded into the crowds yelling instructions.

* * *

Chip walked into the large Spartan room that was nestled in the high branches of a maple tree that was supposed to serve as the new home for him and about 99 other rodents that made up Training troop #2. The place was one big room that consisted of beds -with a small box/trunk for storing things- some tables, an office -with no one in it- and a place to use as a bathroom.

"Not much privacy," Chip said with dismay. While he intellectually understood that he would be working with others (thus very little personal space), having no privacy was something else. How was he supposed to be able to do things with all these strangers looking at him.

"Hey man, I don't wana be rude or somethin. But, ya blocking traffic."

Chip turned around and saw a large broad shouldered squirrel look down at him with inquiring look on his face. Chip apologized and stepped out his way, as he and a few others walked passed him. He watched as the squirrel walked through the horde of rodents, pick a bed near a window, and lay down. Feeling lost, Chip eventually decided to walk over and join him.

"You seem to know what your doing here," Said Chip as he approached.

The squirrel looked at Chip. "yep. Been doing this for 15 years. So, I guess I should know what I’m doing."

"well, I’m kind of new at this. Do you got any recommendations?"

The squirrel closed his eyes and made himself comfortable. "Any place is as good as anyplace else. Besides they gonna be training us so hard all you'll be caring about is sleeping and eating.

"well, your near the window..."

"Force of habit. Besides it gets colder here during the winter, so not many guys want to sleep here. Gives me a measure of privacy. And, since I got my winter fur, I’m not bothered to much by the cold."

The chipmunk looked around not sure what to do.

"Hey pal, you gonna find a place to park yourself? Cause I don’t like fellas hovering over me."

Chip backed up a bit and bumped into a bed. "Uh, sorry."

"It’s a bad habit. People have been known ta get hurt because of habits like that."

"Uh, how come?" Chip sat down and looked at the squirrel thinking that he was just boasting about how tough he was.

The squirrel stretched a bit. Then settled back down into his bed. "Basic survival man. Ain't you learn nothing from you childhood? Somebody standing over you could mean danger! So, you run and hide or at least be ready to jump out of the way."

Chip nodded. All animals at least knew the basics of surviving. heaven knows it had saved him on more than one occasion.

"Of course, here in The Service, running away aint always an option. Sometimes you gotta attack. You know, Slash and cut!" He waved his hand paw about. "More than one green horn like you got themselves gutted cause they got no sense to respect a person’s space."

"I said I was sorry," Chip uttered curtly, he didn't need a lecture. He knew well enough about surviving. After all he is a Rescue Ranger, and had survived the best Fat Cat, and other criminals could throw at him.

The squirrel's eyes snapped open and glared ominously at the Chipmunk. "Be sorry!? You'll be DEAD if you don’t watch yourself." He turned, and with a sigh, got comfortable in his bed. "I have seen to many good people not come back because they ain't paying attention to what they was doing... But, don't worry," he let out a yawn. "The DI will show ya what’s what."

Chip looked stunned as he watched the squirrel sleep on. * Humph! Who does he think he is! Why the Rangers...* He stopped short. In the last few days he had never really thought about the Rangers. Where they were, how they were taking the news of his departure. How Dale was handling the whole thing. Whether Gadget... Chip felt a tear tug at his eyes, but he quickly wiped it away. * No! I’m going to get homesick!! * He thought savagely to himself. * I’m not going to...* He let out a sigh and stood. He regarded his bed for several moments. Then set to work making the space his own. Once he was settled, he soon found himself fast asleep.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Episode Two: Blame it on the rain


Tap, tap, tap, went the sounds of foot paws against the smooth wood of the barrack floor. A slight scrape, and the sound of foot paws coming together. She checked her uniform -it was crisp, clean, and starched- her slouched cap perched forward on her head so that the visor covered her eyes. Her dark hair, sharply cut into neat bangs which was kept way from her eyes. Satisfied by what she saw, she clasp her hands behind her back, and stood at the front door of the barracks peering in through the large door window.

* Five minuets before twilight * She thought to herself. She had been informed by the Colonel that the regiment needed all the personal they could get, and that she could only drop the worst of the worst. She sneered a bit. That usually meant that only extremly bad persons was supposed to get ‘bumped’ from the regiment. And the ‘merely bad’ get dumped into ‘loser’ companies, with the idea that they would get better as time went on. Either that, or get slain by the enemy. She let out a sigh. Straightened her uniform, and grinned. *It’s time... *

Slam! Bang!! went the front door as the sergeant pushed it open with her foot paws. "Geet up!!" she drew in a breath and blew a whistle with an ear shattering shriek. "Get up you lazy bums!" She blew the whistle louder jarring even the deepest of sleepers from their beds. "Get up! What do you think this is!!? A sleep over!!? Get up!!" She walked over to a group of that was slow to respond and kicked them out of bed. "I said ‘GET UP!!!’" To the rest of the room she yelled, "You may dress! You may wash!! You may use the bathroom if you have to. But, you, must, MOVE!!!" The sergeant watched stolidly as the recruits scampered away. * Lovely. Just lovely. *

* * *

He watched them, watched them carefully with his cold gray eyes. For nearly three weeks now, in this wet dank rain forest, he and the army had conducted their campaign. And it had gone successfully, so far. They had tested ‘The Service’, and have found them to be not as good as advertised. He pondered silently on what it would mean in future engagements.

"Well I think we should attack. And attack now! We ain’t met no real fighters so far," said a big rat as he and his companions carried big heavy pieces of wood and stacked them in a pile.

" I don’t know..."said his companion who was carrying a load right behind him. "I mean them other places was kinda far away. but now we is closer to them army guys..."

"Geeze dude! what is you? a rat or a wuss!?" The big rat contemptuously threw his load on to the pile .

"Well I wus just sayin, thats all." As The smaller rat threw his load on the pile.

The bigger one grabbed the other by his tunic. "Well I’m tried of it. Ya here me!? Tired!!" He threw the smaller rat to the ground and stomped off to a gathering of other rats who were waiting to pick up the next load. "Haul that stick. Move that rock. Shovel that dirt. And fer what!? We already done beat them army guys. We should be sittin out the winter counting our loot. And enjoyin our slaves!"

The other rats gathered around him as they said such things as; "Yeah!" and "you said it dude!", "we been raiding and ain’t never got our loot, or nothin!" And other such encouragements.

The big rat looked around and smiled at all of the faces that had agreed with him. "Well, ya know what I say..."

"What!?" yelled the crowd.

"I say we takes our loot. Rip up the nearest town, and live like kings fer the rest of the winter"

The rat’s proclamation was received with a loud riotous yell of approval.

"But, what about, the captain?" said a voice from the crowd. The others became quiet as they murmured amongst themselves.

The big rat looked the others and scowled. "The Captain? HA!! He ain’t no real captain," he said derisively. "The real captain took a big dirt nap two days ago!"

The crowd snickered wickedly. "Yeah," said somebody. "Maybe next time he should look where is stepin when climbin logs over a river." The crowd snickered again.

The big rat sneered. "all we got left is the sarge, and I don’t know about you fellas. But I ain’t takin no orders from some punk shrimp!!"

The crowd started to shout more encouragements. But, suddenly became quiet, as a small figure step out of the shadows.

The figure wore a millitary style tunic with stripes, and a gray forage cap. He eyed the crowd perilously, then looked at the leader and scowled. "Back to work."

The crowd said nothing. Some of them moved away, but more than a few nervously stayed.

"Hey! And just where do ya think your going!? Get yer tails back here!" he called out to the ones that had left the crowd. They would have gone back, but, one look from the smaller figure changed their minds.

"They are following orders, and doing their jobs. Just like the rest of you better be doing."

The rat turned to him and hissed. "We ain’t doin nuthin see! We had enough of all this, this, nothin!"

The small figure looked at the rat dead in the eye and glared at him dangerously. "Are you calling a mutiny on me?"

"Were taking our loot, and taking that town! We are steppin off see! And there ain’t nothin you can do about!" The rat smirked contemptuously at the figure "Chip-punk." The rat laughed harshly.

The chipmunk moved. Faster than any thought possible, he moved. The others looked in wide eyed surprise at the small sergeant’s speed. One moment the rat was laughing, and the next there was the crack of a whip, and then sharp pain as it coiled around his neck. The rat pulled back on the whip, and the chipmunk used the momentum to launch himself forward and plant a kick to the rat’s abdomen causing him to double over. Without hesitation the chipmunk began to beat upon his foe with such savagery that the crowd recoiled in fear. When he had finished, he grabbed the brutalized form by his tunic collar, and said harshly "Got anymore wise cracks solider!?" The rat let out a slight gasp, then became unnaturally still.

The chipmunk threw the body down, and casually turned towards the crowd. "Anybody else got problems with the way this army is run?" There was silence. "Then get your tails back to work! Break time is over." Needless to say, he had no problems for the rest of the day. But that night he had heard of the new name they now called him. ‘The Whipper’.

* * *

Chip felt as if his lungs were on fire as he, and his fellow recruits, ran through the rainy early morning forest. Over logs, through shallow streams, up and down trees. Not stopping for more than a few seconds as they went over the next obstacle, they ran. All the while their drill sergeant yelled encouragement’s over the moans and grunts of the others.

"Come on you slugs! Move it! Move it!! Move it!!!" yelled the sergeant as she jogged up and down the line of animals. "I can not believe, that the animal division of the UNTIED STATES FOREST SERVICE ever thought that you slow pukes could be part of the foot cavalry!"

* This is ridiculous * Chip thought to himself as he gasped for air and struggled over another log. * I can’t be this much out of shape! * He looked to either side of him to see how the others were doing. To his left was Grimbold. The rather large squirrel seemed to be not the least bit tired as he ran up and down the various rain soaked obstacles with almost ridiculous ease. To Chip’s right was a gray mouse about this size, who was breathing harshly as he tried to keep Chip’s pace. * Well at least he is keeping up. * Chip thought to himself. Despite the weariness of his limbs, Chip liked doing this better than the constant drilling and marching that marked the early daylight hours of his first day in the army. He had never dreamed that so many people didn’t know their right foot paw from their left!

"Just for you hard headed folks," yelled the sergeant. "who didn’t pay attention back at camp, the running trail is marked with green flags. follow it and you won’t get lost. And the rest of you mugs better make sure that don’t happen! Cause if it does, everybody gets an extra twenty yards to this hike!" With that said, a chorus of groans filled the air.

"Why... Why do we have to run so fast," said the gray mouse to Chip’s right with a gasp.

"Cause we are Foot Cavalry man!!" said Grimbold with a smile as he easily dropped on all four paws so he could scramble up and over a slick bit of rock. Once on the other side he continued with only a slight slowing of his running pace. Chip, and the mouse unfortunately were not as lucky. It took them several seconds to get over the obstacle, and several more to get their running pace back up to acceptable speed (thanks to the encouragement of the sergeant).

On and on went the group. Up trees, through the branches to a neighboring tree, then down again. Over slimy rocks, through mossy hollow logs, and across slippery rope bridges that stretched over cold water streams, until they finally came to a clearing in the woods.

"What the heck do you think you are doing" shouted the sergeant as the group began to slow down to a near stop as they got to the edge clearing. "Nobody told you to stop! Your stopping point is that pine tree at the far end of this clearing!" She pointed to a tree that had a blue and gold piece of cloth tied to it. "I said get your tails in motion!" she kicked the slowest moving person she could find. "Go! GO! GO!! GO!!!"

By the time Chip finally got to the tree, he felt as if his legs were about to fall off his body. And he would have said so, but all he could do was try to catch his breath and keep from passing out.

"Why, why do we have to run so much," huffed the mouse that had been running next to Chip.

Still looking fresh, Grimbold walked over to the two and said in an animated fashion, "Like I told Maplewood, We are foot cavalry!" he smiled. "We are the first ones at the battle, and the last ones to leave. We chase down the enemy wherever he hides, and provide protection for a lot of families. And, since we have to be the first ones there, that means speed dude."

Chip was about to make a comment when rhythmic sounds of people running filled the air. Just beyond the spot where the company was resting, a different company of rodents, in full military dress, and fully laden with their military equipment, jogged by them to the tune of a martial cadence. Like all the others in his company, Chip watched them in fascination, and more than a bit of envy.

"Take a good look," said the sergeant loudly. "In a few weeks, that’s gonna be you doing that!"

Chip looked at the company as they quickly passed from sight and into the late morning mist of the rain forest.

"Well I want to know when are we going to eat. I’m famished!" said the gray mouse as he rubbed his rumbling stomach.

"Eat? EAT!?" The sergeant turned towards the mouse, and scowled. "What do you think this is? A picnic!!?" She turned and faced the rest of the company. "If you all want some food. Then I suggest you get off your lazy tails and, GET MOVING!!" The sergeant’s outburst caused the company to jump to their feet. "And, ya better get moving fast Cause they ain’t gonna hold open the breakfast line for no slackers!" The sergeant watched with a smirk as her company quickly got up and began the long trek back to the base. Just in time for them to miss breakfast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode Three: Rules of Engagement


An earsplitting tweet from a one wooden whistle pierced the predawn forest, as the animals of ‘Training troop two’ smartly filed out of the barracks. "Lets go! Lets go!! LETS GO!!! Come on you slugs! Get the lead out of your tails, and MOVE IT!!"

The sergeant watched impassively as the troop got into formation. It had been nearly two weeks since she had gotten the troop. They were still green. But, they seemed to be doing OK. No better than any of the others that she had trained. The sergeant slowly walked through the formation, and inspected the troop. "Straighten that back solider!" she told on person. "You call that a line!?" she scolded some others. "Hey you!?" she walked over to a solider "Who told you to look in my direction?! DROP DOWN AND GIVE ME TWENTY!!!!" Without hesitation the solider began his pushups.

"All right people," she said loudly as she walked through the lines of her troop. "Up to now, we have been fairly easy on you. Testing your out. Seeing what kind of work we have to do to make you a useful member of this regiment." She slowly walked to the front of the troop. Then turned to face them. "Today, you will get your uniforms!" She smiled sardonically, "Then, we are gonna get ‘real."

~~~

Chip had done plenty of hard work in his life. But, that was nothing compared to the unmercifully arduous drilling that he was now enduring. The running, the exercising, the climbing, all done with back packs that seemed to become increasingly heavier with each passing week.

"Come on Maplewood," said Grimbold with a bit of a laugh. "You have to git with da program!"

Chip grimaced at the big gray squirrel. For nearly two weeks now (at least twice a day), they were running an obstacle course that took them through a verity of terrains, as well as over (in into) more than a few streams. All the while, carrying increasingly heavy packs. Chip gasped heavily as he ran the course. It seemed to him that no matter how hard the sergeant pushed, Grimbold seem to be able to breeze through the harsh train that the rest of the troop had been going through. "H, how do you..." Chip tried to get the words out in-between ragged breathes.

Grimbold stopped and waited for Chip to catch up. "Maplewood? are you OK?"

"Chip," he gasped. "Just call me Chip."

"All ‘ight. Chip it is." He smiled. "Well, we better keep moving. don’t want stand still to long."

"Hey guys! Wait up," rasped a small gray mouse. Grimbold and Chip turned to see who it was.

"Hey Fenton! Hurry up man! We gotta git outa here!"

With haggard breaths, the mouse finally caught up with them. "How, do you guys run..." he let out a gasp and tried again. "I mean, you run... I mean, keeping up, and stuff..." The mouse nearly stumbled but Chip and Grimbold helped him along.

"Whoa, whoa. Just calm down a bit, and pace yourself," said Grimbold easily. "We will talk when get to the rest station."

The ‘rest station’ was basically a small clearing beside the obstacle course trail. with a sergeant watching the place and making sure the people didn’t linger to long. "Five minuets," said the sergeant loudly to the three as they sat down.

"That’s not very long," said Fenton as he tried to catch his breath.

"Heh. It will be shorter as we get more advanced in the training."

"So, you done this before?"

"yep. Twelve years, and still going strong," Grimbold laughed.

"Twelve years!?" Chip looked at him in wonder. "But your no older than me!"

"Two minuets," Yelled the sergeant.

"Tell you guys about it later. Right now we got more important things to worry about."

"Yeah," said Fenton glumly. "Like how do you keep running like that."

"It’s an old trick. You see it goes..."

"TIMES UP! GET YOUR TAILS IN MOTION!!" The yelled sergeant with such force that chip, and the rest were on their feet, and running before they even knew what was happening.

"Don’t worry guys!" Grimbold called back to his companions. "Just keep your breathing in time with your running, and do the same things I do!"

Chip, and Fenton shrugged and followed their friend. Surprisingly enough, though they were still tired and haggard. they found the running was a bit more easier.

"Hey I think I am starting to get the hang of this!" Said Fenton with a smile. He was even beginning to pass Chip as he ran the course.

Chip scowled, and redoubled his efforts to learn this new kind of running that Fenton had learned so easily.

"Hey guys? We’re coming to a bridge." Grimbold called back to the others as the ran through a narrow trail. The ‘bridge’ was basically a large log over a stream the was shallow even by rodent standards. Grimbold stopped at the foot of the bridge, and crouched down low. Chip, and Fenton nearly ran him over as they emerged from the trail.

"Hey! What’s the big idea!?"

The gray squirrel took no notice of Chip as slowly scanned the way ahead of him, and twitched his tail slowly. "Got to be careful dude." He said finally. "You never know what could be waiting for ya. When you come to a bridge..."

Chip looked around. "I don’t see anything..."

"That don’t mean nothin."

Fenton crouched down next to Grimbold and looked around nervously. "Well, that is the only way to get across."

"Not really, the trail turns, and goes along the stream. I figure there is another crossing further down. It may take a bit longer. But, it could be safer."

"Safer," Chip exclaimed loudly, and walked over to the crouching pair. "Safer from what? There is nobody out here! And, I’m not going off to find another crossing when we got a good one right here." Chip looked at the sky. "Besides it is almost time to eat. And, if we don’t make it to the end soon, we are going to miss lunch." Chip walked to the bridge. "I don’t know about you. But, we already missed breakfast. And, I’m starving!"

"Whoa, Chip! Wait a minuet man! What are ya doin!?"

The chipmunk quickly bolted across the bridge, and began running down the trail.

"Looks safe enough." Said Fenton as he began his run across.

Grimbold sighed angrily and began to follow the mouse.

Chip had barely gotten five yards down the trail, when a loud shout, followed by an even louder scream, rent through the air. The Startled chipmunk stopped. Looked back the way he had come. And after several seconds of indecision, ran back to see what was going on.

Chip had gotten to the bridge just in time to see Grimbold fall into the stream as he was being pelted with water balloons by several rodents in blue uniforms.

Chip looked dumbfounded as he tried to think of something. But his indecision had now made him the target! Chip tried to turn, and run, but was quickly pelted with so many water balloons that he fell into the stream as well!

Chip floundered in the water, but was quickly helped up, and on to, the shore. "Well I hope you boys enjoyed your little swim over the river Styx," said a sergeant scornfully. "Cause your now among the ranks of the DEAD!" A trooper walked over and hung a sign on each of them that said ‘DEAD MAN WALKING’.

"Awww, mann!" Whined Fenton. "That’s not fair!"

"Fair!? FAIR!? This ain’t about being FAIR!! It’s about, not being DEAD!" The sergeant looked at them with contempt. "You guys better remember what happened here." He turned and walked away "And, get your priorities straight." He turned to one of the troopers. "Corporal."

"yes sergeant?"

"Get these men to the forward area and have them start their ‘KP’."

Upon hearing this all three of them groaned mournfully.

"Well," said Fenton. "At least we will get a bite to eat."

The corporal laughed dryly . "Think again soldier!"

"Aww crap," Chip muttered under his breath.

* * *

The bright full moon castes its pale blue light upon the dark, quiet, animal village. The Night’s frost hung heavily in the air, as a silent shadow carefully darted around the village’s outer edges. A lone hooded figure carefully raised its head, waited for several minuets, and began to look around. Something was not right. The figure slowly looked around again, then stealthily advanced towards the inner grounds of the village.

Something was definitely wrong. There were no harassing guards. No Militia, or village champion coming forth to challenge the figure. Nothing, save for the music of the late night forest. The figure sought out a clever hiding place, and sat down to watch the village. After nearly three hours of waiting, the figure quickly but carefully went inside.

~~

"She is late," said a tall thin mouse in an officers uniform. He peered into the moonlight night, and scowled.

"Well sir, these things do take time. Besides," he looked towards the small group of soldiers that were standing around. "We are only Militia."

*True, not as if these guys will put up a big fight if something major happens... Well, The sooner we get the report the faster we can get out of here.*

A lone, hooded, figure suddenly appeared out of the darkness, much to the surprise of the guards, and walked up to the officer and his aid.

The officer turned to the figure. "Scout Lotte. What do you have to report."

The figure opened her cloak, and pulled back its hood to reveal a stolid female face, with hard green eyes. "They were here."

The officer looked at her in alarm. "How many? Are they still there??"

"It looks as if it is regimental strength. But, they are gone."

The officer looked a bit relived, yet wary. "Where to?"

"Northeast." She pointed in the direction.

"And the village?"

She bowed her head, and shook it dolefully.

The officer scowled, and turned to his aid. "Recall the troops, set camp for the night, and get me a messenger."

"What for? Aren’t we going to the village?"

"I don’t know about you," he said turning away, and walking to his tent. "But, I'm not about to spend a night in a graveyard."

* * *

"OK, everybody! Step lively now." The Drill sergeant walked up, and down a line that went past several boxes where uniformed rodents were giving out packages, and other things. "The faster we get through this, the faster you eat!"

Chip let out a bone creaking yawn as he slowly moved up in line. Having spent all of yesterday afternoon, and most of last nite doing KP, he had barely any time to sleep. "Sheesh, can’t we do this after breakfast?" He yawned again. "I’m hungry."

"Well we wouldn’t be hungry if it wasn’t for you," said Fenton hotly.

"Chip looked up at the mouse who stood in front of him in the line "And, what did I do?"

"In the wild," Said the big squirrel behind him. "We depend on each other for survival. Sometimes that means you got ta to put your ego in check. And, listen to others, even if the other guy rubs ya the wrong way."

"But, I..."

The big squirrel grabbed Chip’s uniform, and pulled him out of the line. "You-left-us!" He poked Chip in the chest with his paw. "If this was the real thing we would be DEAD! Now, if you can’t understand that." He walked back to the line. "Then maybe you should get a new set of friends. Cause we don’t want you."

Chip looked at the squirrel in a startled manner as he got back in line, got his stuff and went on his way.

After some not-so-subtle prodding from the drill sergeant. Chip somberly made his way to the back of the line, and absently took the various things that were giving to him. Chip was about to make his way to a sitting space in a clearing not far from the booths, where other people were checking their equipment, when a soft feminine voice smothered his cheerless thoughts.

"Excuse, Chip? I think you forgot something."

The chipmunk stopped, blinked his eyes in dim recognition, and slowly turned around. There, standing before him, was a brown furred, uniformed field mouse, with black hair. Chip stared at the ethereal beauty, unsure what to do or say. "I, uh... Huh?" he finally stammered.

The female mouse glided over to him, and smiled enigmatically.

"Bu... But, I have everything already," said Chip softly.

The mouse maiden looked at Chip’s equipment and scowled in such a way that made the chipmunk uneasy. Gingerly she poked through the equipment bundle, drew out a sword, frowned, and savagely threw it aside! "Nasty hurtful thing," she hissed at the sword.

Chip blinked in surprise at what she had did. And, looked at the sword in confusion. "Why did you do that for? I need that..." Chip reached for the weapon. The maiden, gently but firmly, stayed Chip’s paw, and clasped it with both of hers. Chip let out a slight gasp as she touched him with the silky coolness of her hand paws. Chip tried to say something, but she quieted him with a look. And then guided him back to the (now empty) booth that contained the swords.

She turned to him. "Stay," she smiled. Then, quick as a wink, reached into the booth, and took out a scabbard short sword .

"What is..." Chips words were cut short as she gently put her finger to his lips.

She then reverently put the sword in Chip’s equipment bundle, and made Chip hold the bundle tightly to his chest. "This is for you, and you only. Treat her right, and she will keep you safe." She then kissed his forehead and then shooed him away.

"But..." He turned to ask her something, but the mouse was nowhere to be seen. Chip blinked, then slowly turned around and walked to area where other soldiers where checking their equipment bundles.

"Yo! Maplewood! Over here dude," yelled Grimbold. Chip walked absentmindedly to the spot where his two friends were, and sat down. "Dude, are you OK?"

"Yeah," said Fenton. "You look like you seen a ghost."

"I, I’m not sure," said Chip softly.

“Well you better check your gear quick so we can get some breakfast.” Grimbold said as he went through his stuff. “Well looks like I got all my stuff.”

“Me to!.” said Fenton as he got up. “I’m going to eat. See you guys in the mess hall!”

Chip watched his friend walk away as he talked to the squirrel. “Grimbold, how do you know if you got a good sword.”

“Let me see your blade.”

Chip, hesitantly, handed it to him. For some reason he felt very uneasy that somebody else was touching the sword.

Grimbold gingerly took the blade, got up, and began to smoothly perform a series fighting moves. “In the beginning when the ‘The Service’ was first started, the original swords were just sharpened pieces or iron.” He stopped and examined the weapon closely.
“They were functional, and easy to make. But, not very durable. It was said that when the engineers first discovered the human formula for steel making, they had their chaplain bless some of the swords before giving them to the soldiers. The chaplains did it that way so fate, and divine province would guide those swords to those that needed them.”

Chip looked thoughtful. “And, uh. How would one know?”

“Difficult to tell.” Grimbold gave the sword a few swings. “I mean its not like it’s gonna glow or anything like that,” He laughed. “Because if your expecting that, then I think you have seen way to many fantasy movies!” The big squirrel's humorous smiled quickly faded when he saw Chip’s un-playful countenance.

Grimbold sighed, looked at the sword once again. Then Reverently handed back to Chip. “Look Maplewood. Uh, Chip.. I don’t know much about blessings and magic and stuff. You have to talk to the
chaplain about that.” He bent down and picked up his equipment
bundle. “But, I will tell you what I DO know. The world is a strange and mysterious place.” He turned to leave. “And, there is a lot we don’t understand about it. So, anything is possible..” He turned and faced Chip. “I also understand that this sword -blessed or not- is a weapon. Not a toy. It’s purpose is to hurt people. That's it’s job, that’s it, function. And, that’s also a big responsibly.” He peered at the chipmunk closely. “You think you can handle it,” he asked in a grave voice.

Chip handled the sword carefully, and studied it in a thoughtfully manner. And, after a long pause, he answered. “We will see.” He looked up at the squirrel. “Won't we.”

“yeah,” he said slowly. “I guess so.” With that he turned and walked toward the mess hall.

Next chapter

Back to the stories