The Source

of

The Gill

 

WB01432_.gif (3228 bytes)

 

There was a boy, a very strange enchanted boy.

They say he wandered very far, very far, over land and sea.

A little shy, and sad eye, but very wise was he.

 

And, then one day, one magic day he passed my way.

While we spoke of many things, of fools and kings, this is what he said to me.

"The greatest thing you will ever know, is just Love, and be Loved in return."

 

-Nature Boy- by David Bowie

 

WB01432_.gif (3228 bytes)

A lone blond bat perched gloomily on the tip of the wing of a large water fountain statue, ‘The Angel of The Waters’, which stood in the middle of the spacious lakeside ‘Betheusda terrace’ in central park. With a forlorn sigh she looked at the rising sun and thought about what had happened to her over the last few days. The people she met, the things that she said and did. The bat frowned, not all of the actions she took made her proud of herself. And, she wondered, if the whole trip she went on was even worth the effort.

In the old days she would have went and met available -and sometimes not so available- men, had a fling -or even a romance if she was feeling really good- and if things didn't turn out right, she would've been a bit sad, then got on with her life. But the experiences she had at ‘The Source of The Gill’ had opened her eyes and she didn't like all of what she saw.

The bat let out another sigh, as she turned and faced the heavily forested far shore across from the terrace. In the end, she supposed it was for the best, maybe she should just take the advice given and learn to be alone. Maybe for the rest of her life, she shuddered. She looked towards the heights of the forest, and began to recall the events of the past few days.....

WB01432_.gif (3228 bytes)

 

Chapter One: Because we can can.

 

"Hey! What kind of place is this!" shouted a drunken blond bat as she stumbled to a nearby jukebox. "I thought this place was a DANCE club!" She pushed some buttons, spied a nearby person of the male gender that seemed to be single. And, with a seductive laugh, seized the person as the song suddenly sprang to life. "Everybody Dance now!!" The blond bat sang out as she, and her partner, danced wildly to the music. Almost instantly other animals in the place jumped up, and with partners in hand, danced to the loud upbeat music.

Foxglove looked at her friend, Liddy Rose, from the sidelines and couldn't help but smile sadly as she moved among the throng of dancers with her new companion in hand. She seemed so happy now, as she reveled with in the embrace of the energetic melody. Foxglove took a sip from a drink she had in her paw. For nearly three months now Liddy had dragged her to nearly every bar, club, and speakeasy within the five boroughs of New York City (at least it seemed that way), all in an effort to forget the horrible break up she had with her last boyfriend. Of course the fact that she had hit her thirty-fifth birthday two months ago wasn't helping either.

"Everybody dance now!" sang out the blond with giddy enthusiasm as her partner swung her around and laughed heartily. The song instantly stepped up its tempo, and the people danced happily in time to the faster beat. So vivacious and upbeat was the clamor of music that even the shyest of persons couldn't stop from moving in time to the song! Even Foxglove found herself moving in time to the beat. Eventually all things come to an end. And so did the dancing as the music reached its exultant crescendo, and with a jump and a happy shout from the dancers, the song ended.

Foxglove watched passively as Liddy held the handsome young man closely to her person, they talked, then soon enough, started kissing each other passionately. Foxglove yawned, and turned away from the spectacle. At one time, long ago, when she and Liddy began their string of ‘Girls night out’. She would watch, with incredulity, as Liddy would seek out handsome men, determine whether or not they were worth her time, and if they were, peruse them with same skill Foxglove would use when hunting down bugs to eat! At the time it was a fascinating process to watch, especially with the more intractable victims, as this would force Liddy to dig deeper in her charms in order to pursue her prey. Because of this, Foxglove, on more than a few occasions, went home hot and bothered because of Liddy’s antics (not that her husband Dale minded). Now a days Liddy’s single-minded pursuit of a good time has begun to concern Foxglove. There seemed to be an undertone of desperation to Liddy’s actions. Not in an obvious way of course. But Foxglove has known her friend for many a year. And she could tell when Liddy was not herself.

Foxglove watched aloofly as Liddy and her ‘new’ friend made their way from the dance floor, and disappeared into the crowd. Foxglove let out a sigh it would be a long time before she would see her friend once more. As the music once again started to pick up, Foxglove decided to dance and enjoy her self. And not worry about what Liddy was doing.

* Liddy is old enough to take care of herself. * This was the last thought Foxglove had for Liddy as she went to the dance floor and started to dance.

* * *

"Liddy, you are just the living end! I can't leave you alone for a half an hour before you get into trouble," exclaimed a highly annoyed Foxglove to the burden over her shoulder.

"It’s not my fault!" said the bundle in a light hearted, yet indignant, manner. "They started it!"

"I thought you was playing ‘kissy-face’ with that guy you was dancing with." Said Foxglove as she made her way towards the club’s exit.

"And that's all he was good for" Liddy exclaimed, with genuine anger in her voice.

Foxglove was about to ask what was wrong with the guy, but decided not to. She and Liddy had been through that kind of ‘give, and take’, argument for their entire friendship. It was a habit that the two of them would easily get into. But tonight Foxglove took an extreme effort on her part not to get into that type of conversation. Especially with a drunken Liddy over her shoulder in a ‘fireman’s carry’ position. "Well, can we at least get out of here with a shred of dignity?" Liddy had the audacity to ware a little black mini dress with spaghetti straps. The dress in question left very little to the imagination (which, Foxglove guessed, was the whole point of the outfit), and what little there was to ‘imagine’ was cursory at best with her friend in the position that she was.

"Well you didn't have to grab me like that. I could've taken care of my self."

"There were two of them. And they chased you on the table!"

"Yeah, but I’m a bat!" she laughed drunkenly. "I can fly!" Liddy tried to spread her limbs and made ‘Swooshing’ noises as she demonstrated her ‘flight skills’.

Unfortunately, much to Foxglove’s chagrin, Liddy’s ‘demonstration’ had brought unwanted attention the two of them. "Well." Foxglove sighed. "So much for the ‘shred of dignity’." Giving up all pretenses of being inconspicuous, Foxglove, and her burden, quickly made their way to the exit. Stopping only long enough to thank the club owner -who was at the door wondering what was going on- for the lovely time Liddy and she had, and to tell him that she would recommend the place to her other friends.

No sooner was the two of them out of sight, and then Foxglove heaved Liddy off of her shoulders and, unceremoniously, dumped the blond bat on the ground. Liddy landed on her rump with a squeal of surprise, and looked indignantly at her friend.

"Hey! You don’t have to be so rough!"

Foxglove glared at the blond bat with her wings on her hips. "Your lucky I didn't leave you there! It would serve you right if I let those women get a hold of you!"

"Well, the night is young," laughed Liddy as she inspected her dress for rips and dusted herself off.

Foxglove looked at her friend for several seconds, then turned away. "Liddy, I’m, uh, going home."

"WHAT!?"

"Home! I’m going home!" Foxglove turned to see her friend glaring at her angrily.

"But its only one AM! We still have four hours of parting left!"

"I’m partied out! I have been for the past month! Besides, I’m tired of watching you play ‘kissy face’ with every other guy in every other club that we go to!" Foxglove crossed her wings. " Especially since I have my own man to that with," She said with a satisfied smile.

Liddy noticed the smile, and snorted derisively.

Foxglove decided to ignore the comment. "Now before I go, we are going to have a talk."

Liddy looked at her friend warily. "A talk? About what?"

"You!"

"Me!?"

"Liddy ever since the break up, you have been dragging me to just about every bar, club, and speakeasy in the Tri-state area! And in that time you have picked up just about every other male in sight, and not one of them have lasted for more than two days before you break up them! Now that’s strange, even for you. And I want to know what’s going on?"

Liddy looked at her scornfully. "Since when did you become so interested in my love life?"

*I wasn't, three months ago! * Foxglove thought to herself. "Liddy, you're my friend." She looked at the blond bat with concern. "And after what happened with…"

"Don’t even mention that, that, MAN'S name!!"

The vehemence of Liddy's retort made Foxglove take a step back, and rethink her words. "Um, ok..." Foxglove walked tentatively up to her friend and sat next to her. "Liddy, we're friends, and I’m concerned about you."

Liddy turned her back to Foxglove and crossed her wings. "If your such a friend, then you wouldn't abandon me just when I need you."

"I'm not 'abandoning' you," Foxglove said with a hint of anger in her voice. "But I got a life too you know!"

"FINE," exclaimed Liddy with a pout. "Why don't you just go back to your wonderful husband, adoring children and perfect life!"

Foxglove fumed. "I don't have a perfect life!" She thought for a moment. " OK, so maybe I have a good husband who completely loves me. And we have wonderful children -OK, so the children can be a handful, but they are good kids." She smiled slightly. " And, I do go out on exciting adventures sometimes, meet interesting people. Lots of friends..." Foxglove looked thoughtful for a moment. "Gee, I guess I DO have a good life," Foxglove said with a wry grin.

Liddy turned and glared angrily at Foxglove. ‘See! I told you!!"

Foxglove looked at her friend and returned her glare. "I said it was ‘GOOD’! Not perfect!!"

Liddy let out a melancholy sigh, and lay back on the ground with wings spread. "Well, I want some of that," she said looking up into the night sky. "But I just can’t seem to find the right guy."

"Can’t find the right guy!?" Foxglove looked at her friend in surprise. "You’ve dated just about every guy we have met! And some of them even called you the next day!"

Liddy snorted derisively. "They were just desperate."

"Well what about that guy Hayden?"

"Hayden liked football more than me."

"Well what about that handsome bat William?"

Liddy frowned. "William liked Hayden."

"Oh." Foxglove looked thoughtful. "I guess that would explain his strange behavior around Dale..."

"OH goody! Your husband is so nice even the GUYS are after him!"

Foxglove chuckled at the thought. "Can you imagine?"

Liddy thought about how uncomfortable Dale must have been. And after a while began to laugh. Despite this, Liddy melancholy returned. "Foxglove..." Liddy sat up, looked around her, and when she was sure no one was about, she looked at her friend and continued. "Foxglove, in case you haven’t noticed," She looked around again. "I’m 35," she said with a whisper, and looked down. "And, I’m not getting any younger. It’s bad enough that I’m a spinster. But, I don’t want to be an old maid as well!" Liddy looked at her friend. "Foxglove, I need your help!"

"Liddy, you don’t need a man to..."

"Oh PLEASE," said Liddy, cutting off Foxglove’s statement "You know that’s real easy for other people, who have somebody, to say to us who don't! Or from women who want to be by themselves for the rest of their lives!" Liddy stood up and faced the city landscape before her. "Well I tried alone, and I tried together." Liddy raised her wings and shouted. "And you know what? I LIKE the together!!" Liddy lowered her arms. "A loving husband, kids to raise, a little excitement..." Liddy soberly turned towards Foxglove. "Is that so much to ask for?"

"No," Foxglove said softly. "No it isn't."

Liddy got on her knees before Foxglove. "So, you will help me?"

Foxglove had always been leery of getting involved with any of Liddy romances. As they usually caused more trouble than it was worth. Liddy gave Foxglove her most pitiful look, and with sigh of resignation Foxglove gave in. "OK, I'll help you." Liddy smiled and gave Foxglove a big hug. * And Lord have mercy on my soul for doing it. *

* * *

Foxglove gazed nervously through the predawn night at the trail that went up a steep forested slope to the top of Summit Rock. While there are many places within Central Park that are considered sacred. Summit Rock was, by far, the most popular. At a hundred thirty-seven feet, it was the highest point in the park -though it didn't look it. And, as a result, closest to heaven and all that it represents. More than a few covens, pilgrims, and other spiritual seekers used the Summit for various proposes, and tonight was no different. The small brown bat made her way carefully up the irregular stone steps that made up the small human sized trail till it met the smooth sloping black-top path that wound its way around Summit Rock. This was the other human path, and it snaked its way around the Rock and led to its heights, and while it was ok for regular tourist, those seeking something more spiritual took the trail (Human or animal). Foxglove carefully looked to her left, then right. Seeing nobody there she quickly made her way across the black-top path, and continued on her journey up the trail. Sure it would have been easier for her just to fly up there. But that would make her no different from some human tourist or passerby.

As Foxglove climbed up the last of the steps, she was greeted by the soft sonorous sounds of many bat voices wafting pleasantly through the cool night air. The Summit was a grassy hill with several pieces of bare granite that was open to the sky. The lower edge of the hill was ringed by a concrete walk way and a low rise rock wall with benches that allowed people -in comfort- to look over the wall and on to the well forested parkland below. She looked to the very top of the Summit and watched in awe as a ring of female bats in simple hooded cloaks sang their euphonious chants. Foxglove waited reverently as the group chanted and went through their ceremonies. She was startled when she realized that they had stopped and looked at her with expectant eyes.

"Ms. Foxglove, it’s good to see you again." A tall middle-aged bat walked down the top of the hill to greet Foxglove.

"I, I’m sorry Abbess Lyn if I’m interrupting," said Foxglove as she timidly walked on to the Summit to greet the speaker.

"Nonsense dear," said the abbess with a slight laugh. "After all, Summit Rock is open to all." The abbess hugged Foxglove warmly and then held her at arms length and looked into her eyes. "So, have you decided to take us up our offer to join?"

Foxglove looked down uncomfortably. "Uh, no... I mean, I’m still thinking about it.."

"It’s ok Foxglove," smiled the abbess as she patted the younger bat’s back. "You take all the time you think you need to decided. So, I take it this is a professional call then?"

Foxglove nodded her head.

Abbess Lyn took Foxglove by the wing and flew to one of the Summit’s benches, as the rest of the group continued their ceremony and chanting. "Ok young lady, tell mother Lyn all about it."

Foxglove let out a sigh, and told the abbess all about Liddy, their friendship, and the reason why she was there. Much later, with the coming of the dawn, a plan was formed.

 

WB01432_.gif (3228 bytes)

 

Chapter Two: That Girl (Comming Soon!)

Back to the stories