Dimensions of Change

By Zipper

Chapter Five

Captain Airheart stumbled into the command room, literally. In her exhausted state, she forgot about the step between the stairs ceiling, and the rooms ceiling. She tripped and fell with an ‘oof’.
“Darn ground pounders” she mumbled as she dusted her self off and headed for the couch. She sat down on the opposite side of Tammy and Dale, both snoring harmoniously. Soon she was spread out. ‘Its no ceiling, but its comfortable.’ She mused with a sigh. “Maybe those ground pounders arn’t so bad.”
Soon, she was asleep, but became conations of a small weight on her chest. “Cap’n, can’t sleep.” Grimcrack mumbled.
Tacoma smiled as she stretched out a wing. Grimcrack nuzzled his way in as she folded the wing across herself and started to hum. Soon Grimcrack as out cold, thumb in his mouth, drool slowly making its escape from its prison. Tacoma sighed. She missed her own pups, but they were no more, Casualties to the infernal war, along with her mate. Only the oldest two survived, Peroria and Fresno, both now fighting beside her and the air-wing stationed here. Two out of five, better than some others she knew. Her neck itched were she still carried the puncture wounds that that infernal Wolfsbane gave her. She never told anyone about that, not even her own children. If she ever got her wings on the two that did this to her, Wolfsbane and her lackey Gadget, she would strangle them in her own talons. Eventually she fell into a deep yet troubled sleep.

Dale jumped with a start. Someone strong and cunning had entered the room. Someone like… Widget. He sighed. He was on edge and cranky. Little sleep, little food, almost no clean water, it was taking its toll.
Tammy stirred a cushion away with a yawn. “Widget, I thought We had an agreement. No more early morning briefings!”
Widget just looked on with defiance. “Tammy, if you wouldn’t mind relieving the Captain of her charge, and make sure he stays in bed this time.”
Tammy mumbled, but got up and gently removed Grimcrack from the sleeping bat. The only notice either one gave was a moan from Grimcrack.
Widget was about to awaken the sleeping bat, but just couldn’t bring herself to try. Memories of the crew of the Albacore rushed through her head. She turned away. “Dodger’s been flying hard. It was a ruff night for the ‘Wraths.’ Maybe we should grant them a one day R&R.
“All of the squadrons need their rest.” Dale reminded groggily.
Widget turned to the chipmunk. “Dale, There is something I must show you in the work shop.” With that, she left the room, Dale close behind.

Widget stopped him just short of the workshop. “Dale, do you trust me?” She asked.
“Uh, sure Widget, I’d even trust you with my comics.” The chipmunk responded in confusion.
Widget had to smirk. His comics held the same importance’s to him as her Grimcrack held to her. She wondered if that trust wasn’t misplaced, but pushed that thought aside as she opened the door.
“Dale?” Asked a bat with features smother than milk chocolate. “Dale, I thought I’d never see you again.”
Dale clenched his teeth and lunged. “Murderer!” He yelled.

Widget had fully anticipated this action. Dale wore his emotion on his sleeve, so when he lunged, he didn’t go far with his tail held steady by her hand. Instead, he fell flat on his face. Foxglove ran to his side.
“Are you ok sweetie?” She asked as she leaned over his prone form.
Dale turned over, his eyes kindling the hatred of a year and a half of anguish. “Wolfsbane!” That fire never ignited as his eyes caught hers. “Foxglove?”
“Yes Dale, its me.” She whispered, her breath caressing his cheek.
“Well, isn’t this touching.” Mumbled a bitter, husky voice from behind. Foxglove looked up, startled by the intrusion, her face mirrored by the rest.
Foxglove, in her startled stated, unconsciously started her echolocation. Her expression when from surprise to fear as the image returned as a dull gray.
“Radar doesn’t work when its being jammed, now does it?” The voiced asked as its owner stepped out from the shadows. “Widget, I hope there is a good explanation, or do I just light up with my PLL and vaporize you all?” Dodger asked as the morning rays faltered and clouds set in.
Gadget caught a glint of light reflecting off a harness strapped to Dodgers head. “Golly, is that a light? Its so compact.” She inquired as she eagerly approached.
“It is, but of coherent light, which you will find out personally if you do not cease.” Capt. Airheart inserted with force.
“Gee, why would you need a laser strapped to your head?” Gadget asked, stopping to the bat’s request.
Tacoma ventured a glance at Widget who just stood there with a glint of amusement in her eyes. “Widget? Please explain.”
“Captain, I would like you to meet Gadget and Foxglove of the Rescue Rangers.” Widget responded with a smirk.

Ah, so it would seem that Gadget and Foxglove are as noticeable as a wolf in a pack of miniature poodles! Will we ever find out what Widget is up to, or is the author just delaying for time? What’s with this third person commentary, and is it like asking ‘how many licks will it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?’ These answers (maybe) and more on the next exciting installment of ‘Dimensions of Change’

‘Dimensions of Change’ was produced, written, edited, and well, brought into this plain of existence by Zipper the Magnificent! All Characters except for Widget and Grimcrack are the trademarks of Disney Animation or some other Disney company (who knows, or cares). John W. Nowak is credited for the creation of Widget and Grimcrack. Capt. Tacoma Airheart is currently conducting a study on ‘sudden coherent light vaporization syndrome.’ Any vampire interested in the study should contact her at (555)-555-DEAD.

Gadget has asked to take this time to say: “I do not own a Blue, or Red dress. I have never, or will ever owned a dress like that. Those shots were actually Luwaniie, the tramp.
Golly, they had problems getting me to come on screen in that nightgown, and don’t get me started on that bathing suit. Personally, I thought I was showing too much leg, but Disney is like that.

Next chapter

Back to the stories