Dimensions of Change

By Zipper

Chapter Nine

Dodger Walked the upper branches of the old oak tree. The light was growing dim, signaling the start of the mission in a matter of moments. Time for the final breifing. Behind her was her the other two air wings Captains. One, her son, a tall Male named Fresno, call sign Nihm, and his sister, Peoria, AKA Scarlet.
Tacoma settled on her pups. Fresno and Peoria were her first, a litter of two. She was still young, she recollected when she gave birth. Fresno erred the Nickname Nihm because of the unique sound he made as he echo located. Tacoma remembered how worried she was that he was deft, but now he is the best in the air wing. Dodger’s eyes wandered to Peoria. Even when she was young, Peoria was unusually red. Though her fur has darkened as shes grown, it is still notably red. So red infect that she was chastened Scarlet. Now Fresno was captain of the Ghosts, and Scarlet of the Banshees. Dodger shook her head and turned to address the squadrons. The Ghosts, Banshees, and her very own Wraiths mumbled to each other. Dodger cleared her throat, silencing the collected groups.
“Tonight is going to be an air cover/attack mission.” This elected a moan from the crowed. Tacoma held up her wing to silence them. “I know your tired of babysitting the Ground Ponders, but hear me out. Tonight’s target is going to be the observatory its self.” She paused for effect as silence drifted on the breath of ever bat there.
“As we speak, Elements of the 285th Air are assaulting the enlisted ‘food’ processing facility. Because of the successful attacks last week, on behalf of the local Wolf pack, and the ghosts,” A small cry went up from the center of the crowd, “this is the only one left in the city. This mission is only a secondary, and is designed as a diversionary to the main attack. We are to escort the few Pigeons we have left to the target, and provide escort services for them as they drop their ordinances on the south side and continue north, then we are to stay over the target and provide air cover as the ground pounders do their thing. New batteries, ordinances, and First Aid will be provided in a clearing north of the observatory labeled as Romeo-Zulu.” She survayed her airwing. “Lt. Com. Crosswind.”
A large built male stood up. “Yes sir!” he declared.
“You are to head the Wraiths tonight.” This caused a small ripple to spread through out the crowd. The Lt. Com. scratched his head.
“If I may Mam, where are you going to be?”
“I am going to be part of an insertion that will be going in the north side as the pigeons are attacking the south, so it is vitally important that you get them their. If that is all, you are all dismissed! Take off at 18:00.”
“ATTENTION!” Peoria barked. The combined masses stood in unison, there feet clapping at once, and saluted.
Tacoma left down the center walkway, followed shortly by Peoria and Fresno.
“I don’t like this Mom>” Peoria mumbled above her breath.
“Neither do I. You a pilot, not some ground pounder.” Added Fresno as the walked into the tree.
Tacoma waited until they stepped into an elevator. She sighed as the door closed. “The details are on a need to know, and as much as I’d like to tell you, you don’t need to know. All I can say is that its daring, and that it might end the fighting, if only for a shor rest bit.”
No one liked that answer, but all knew that was all that could be said. The time for words was quickly coming to an end as the doos opened on the flight deck. Soon, the squadrons would arive, but now it was a bustle of preparation activity.
On the left side the pigeons were preparing for take off. They were slower than the bats, so would take off first. The bats would follow them a half fifteen to twenty minuets later.
On the right were the loading bays for the bats. Smaller than the roosts for the birds, the bays allowed for multiple bats to be equipped in a short time. At this point, they were fairly empty, with only the crew chiefs doing checklists. From a corner a mechanic waved in their direction general direction. She was a tall mouse, with blond, mid, to lower back length hair, pulled tight to help keep it in check, and a pair of blue goggles sitting on top of her black chiefs hat. She was energetic in her actions, and innocent in movement.
Dodger couldn’t help but to smirk at her antics. “If you can excuse me, I have to depart. “

Foxglove watched as the terrain slowly flowed past. She adjusted her vest, a spare given to her for the mission. She would have to adapt to the new weight it provided. Letting out a sigh, she leaned back between the shoulder blades of her new ride, a young vixen named Jane.
“Watch your sighs over there,” Dodger yelled from a bust, obviously were the other fox was hiding. “The mic. on your head set if voice activated.” Foxglove reddened as she pushed the ‘talk’ button on her throat twice, the proper way for a wing man to replay, short and to the point, then muted it. Now only the ‘talk’ button will activated it.
Dodger grinned. “Turn over to channel five.” She yelled back. “We should hear the Wraiths doing a squadron check.”
Foxglove complied, setting her secondary channel on the radio to 5. Static filled her ears, broken by cross-talk from the channel above and below as other groups were calling in. Soon, the static was lost, only to replace to the Wraiths calling in by wing pairs.
“Revving up your engine, “
“Listen to her howl and low” Called the first group.
“Ever under tension,”
“Begging her to touch and go” Replied the second.
“Heading into twilight,”
“Spreading out her wings tonight” Added the third
“She’s got you jump'n off the deck, “
“Shoving her into overdrive” The fourth group provided.
“Out upon the edge “
“Is were I've always yearned to be” Crackled the Fifth group.
“The further on the edge, “
“The hotter the intensity” Came the final reply from the sixth.
Static resumed, as radios stopped sending, only to break up again.
To Foxgloves surprise, Dodgers voice filled her ears. “I went to the danger zone” She said with, what Foxglove thought, was a hint of sorrow and longing.
Foxglove swallowed hard. It was her turn, and she knew the words from heart. Steding her voice, she replied,“Right into the danger zone” She grinned, and remembered the first time she had heard that, on the couch, back at Ranger HQ, Dale by her side with a tub of popcorn, watching a war movie. Now the war was real, and her only question was, ‘Am I good enough? Or will I freeze up?’

Will Foxglove freeze up, or is she just being paranoid? Can bat really hack it as a top gun, or are the just deluding themselves by quoting ’80s movie songs? Was that whole section really worth it, or was it filler by some desperate bat? Tune in next week for the exciting continuation of ‘Dimensions of Change.”

‘Dimensions of Change’ was produced, written, edited, and… well You know the rest. All Characters except for Widget, Grimcrack, Jane, Jimmy, Capt. Tacoma ‘Dodger’ Airheart, Alicia Hamsterball and Jonathan Wintermouse are the trademarks of Disney Animation or some other Disney company (who knows, or cares). John W. Nowak is credited for the creation of Widget and Grimcrack.
I have claimed Jane, Jimmy, Capt. Tacoma ‘Dodger’ Airheart (And her childeren mentioned in the text), Alicia Hamsterball and Jonathan Wintermouse, in the name of Mars. Hmmm, isn’t that lovely?

Foxglove will be appearing at the ‘Barn Owl’s and Nobles’ on the corner of Beach and Imperial tomorrow at three thirty, for a sighing of her books. “Why the Author doesn’t exist!” “Who is this Author Guy anyway?” and to promote her upcoming book, “Ten Stupid Things Bats do to get into Stories that will get them get Banged, Bruised, Trampled, Bitten, Burned, and Turned into Vampire Bats! Volume 1”

Next chapter comming... soon?

Back to the stories