The Rescue Ranger Word Game

Round Two

password: Buzz

By Chip Chap

Authors Note: And now for the second round... as you might see, I'm trying to get a better grasp of writing whole fics (as opposed to the short skits which I seem to throw everywhere) so soon I should start making short stories and perhaps even stop using script format. Anway, if you have any advice, constructive critsism or ideas on who else to put in here let me know.

 

Gadget walk onto a big stage in front of a studio audience and stands behind a square table, the audience cheers.

Audience: Yay! Go Gadget! You Rock! Could you fix my toaster?

Gadget: Hi everybody! It’s time for another round of the Rescue Rangers Word Game!

Audience: Hooray! Wonderful!

Gadget: And so, the winner from our last round... Dale Barns!

Some loud music starts playing as Dale walks in wearing waving to the audience. Foxglove cheers him on.

Foxglove: You go show that word what for! Don’t let those vowels boss you around!

Gadget: And on the receiving end, the Ranger who needs no introduction (and seldom gets one for that matter) Zipper!

A silence falls over the room, several crickets chirp in the background.

Gadget: Um, Zipper. You know the little fly who’s always tagging along and helping us out...

Crickets: We know that! We’re cheering him on!

Gadget: Golly, okay...

Gadget turns to see that Zipper is already sitting on his side of the table and waiting for Gadget to start the game off. Zipper holds up a sign like Calamity Coyote.

Zipper (in “sign” language): Are we ready to play yet? I don’t want to miss “Flies Like Us.”

Gadget: Um, okay... Ahem, today’s contestants will be playing for a lifetime supply of drinks...

Both Dale and Zipper perk up.

Dale: Wowie Zowie! I’m gonna win that for sure!

Zipper: Can I get outdated Snapple with that?

Gadget: (pulls out a bucket from behind the table) ...which they can get with this handy rainwater collecting bucket *offer only valid on rainy days and at precipitating locations*.

Dale and Zipper both look at Gadget, at the bucket, at Gadget, at the audience, then shrug it off.

Gadget: Okay, Dale you have ten hints to get Zipper to say... (looks at Zipper) ...er sign this word.

Gadget sets down a sign that reads “Buzz” so that the audience and Dale can see it but Zipper can’t.

Gadget: And remember, Dale, you can’t actually say the word... and GO!

Dale (looks at the sign): Aww nuts! Nobody uses this word...

In the audience, Chip slaps his hand over his face.

Dale: Okay, Um... this is the kind of sound that a bee makes.

Zipper thinks for a moment and tries to talk.

Zipper (with difficulty): Bbbbbbububu!

Dale: Sorry, wrong “B”. I meant to ask what a bee says when it’s flying.

Zipper (signing): Oh, I’m a worker bee and I’m okay... I sleep all night and I work all...

Monty (in the audience): Well there’s your obligatory Monty Python reference.

Dale: Gee this is tough, Um, what do you hear when Queenie and you are together and neither of you are talking?

Zipper thinks for a moment and then blushes a with a shy look on his face.

Dale: Oops maybe I should try this at a different angle... What’s name of the astronaut in Toy Story?

Zipper: (looks at Dale questioningly) Who’s who in the what story?

Dale: In Toy Story, it was about a toy cowboy who was the leader of all the toys in a boy’s room and then the kid gets a super-cool spaceman toy with laser beams, karate chop action, and wings that popped out of his back so he could fly. And then they get lost and wind up in an evil kid’s room who likes rearranging parts of toys and...

Gadget: Um, Dale I think you’re getting a bit off-topic.

Dale: I am? Sorry, where was I?

Zipper (signing): The two toys were stuck in a room with a crazy kid.

Dale: Oh that's right. Anyway, they both find a bunch of monster toys that Sid *that’s the evil kids name* had modified so they have stuff like doll heads on erector sets and creepy hands in “Jack in the Boxes” and stuff, which is really cool because they are scary-looking when you first meet em’ but they are really nice and team up with the cowboy and spaceman to teach the evil kid the value of playing nice...

Gadget: Dale, you’re going of topic...

Zipper (looks at Gadget rather annoyed and points at his sign): Quiet, I’m listening to Dale!

Gadget: Oops, sorry.

Zipper (signing): Anyway, sounds like a good movie. Who made it?

Dale: Oh, Disney and Pixar made it. Pixar also made a sequel to it and another movie called “A Bug’s Life.”

Zipper perks up.

Zipper (signing): Really? Cool! What’s that about?

Dale: Oh it’s about a colony of ants that are being bullied by a gang of mean grasshoppers *I think it’s a take on that fable about the ants and the grasshopper* and one of the ants thinks they should hire a bunch of warriors to scare them off. It’s really cool because it uses full 3-D computer animation so all the cool-looking bugs are cartooney but still realistic looking. I think Dreamworks made another movie called “Antz” at about the same...

Chip: Hey! Is this a game-show or a movie review?!

Zipper (signing): Can’t I talk to someone without getting interrupted here?!

Dale: ... but it was really suspicious how those two movies came out at the same time about the same thing. Kinda like “Babe” and “Gordy” a few years ago... although Gordy was definitely a rip off...

Zipper (Signing excitedly): I know! A couple of months ago some flies were looking around in one of the dumpsters downtown and found a tape... they all got together and wern’t sure if they should try selling it to a mouse or if it was too awful to bother with... that caused quite an upset so I went over to see what the buzz was all about...

Gadget: He said it!

Zipper (signing angrily): Don’t interrupt!

Foxglove: Hooray! You did it Dale!

Chip: How many hints was that?

The show ends with Zipper and Dale trying to keep talking while Foxglove starts hugging Dale and Gadget is wondering who to give the prize to.

Now to round three of "The Rescue Ranger Word Game"!

Back to the stories