Lena phone home or 2010 A Rescue Ranger Tale

Chapter Four: A new arrival


The large Boeing jet slowly descended towards the runway, the sun glistening across it’s massive frame. With a ’skreatch’ the wheels touched ground and the plane started slowing down.

When the plane had come to a full stop a very small dark figure jumped out from the landing gear compartment, the figure then ran across the runway and stoped next to the fence which went around the airport. The figure looked around him, seeing no one he relaxed and lit a cigarette, the glow from the lighter softly illumanating his face.

"I hate travelling this way." He said as he slowly walked through a hole in the fence.


A few hundred meters away two cats were standing on a small hill overlooking the airport.

"The boss said he would be coming here." One of them said as he raised a pair of binoculars to his eyes.

"Where is he then?" The other cat replied.

The figure froze when he heard the voices and then slowly crept closer to get a look. As he neared the place the voices had come from he hid behind a rock and leaned out on the side. ’Great! Of all things it had to be cats’ He thought as he saw them.

The two cats, not knowing they were being watched, continued scanning the airport.

"I’m begining to think he’s a no show." The cat with the binoculars said.

"The boss said we where going to wait for him, so we wait for him." The other cat replied.

As the two cats started argueing about whether or not they should stick around, the figure saw his chance. He trew the cigaretteon the ground and slipped from the darkness of the rock. And silently made his way to behind the cats.

"Ok! Turn around." He said with a growl. "Slowly!"

The cats turned and saw the figure standing there. It was a large brown rat, clad in a black trenchcoat with the sleaves rolled up and in each of his glowed paws was a gun. Both pointing towards the cats.

"What are you doing her." The rat said with a cold voice.

"W-we where told m-meet someone her." One of the cats stuttered.

"And who would that be?" The rat asked as he walked up and placed a gun to the side of the cats head.

"A-a-aki!" The cat managed to say.

The rat lowered his guns and smiled.

"Your’e in luck then." He said with a wry smile. "I’m Aki." The rat holstered his guns and patted the cat on the back.

"So, why not go meet this boss of your’s."

= = =

Back at the hospital Chip is sitting next to Gadget, holding her hand.

"Look Chip, we knew it would come to this sooner or later." Gadget said to the worried chipmunk.

Chip sighed. "I know." He looked at the ceiling. "It’s just that I always thought there would be more time." He sighed again.

"Hey." Gadget placed her paw on Chips face ."It’s not that bad."

"I guess not." He said absently. "You get dressed. I better go tell the others." He got up from the chair and gave Gadget a peck on the cheek, he then walked out of the room.

Outside Foxglove had snuggled up next to Dale and Lena sat on a chair reading some magazine. As Chip closed the door behind him Dale, seeing the troubled face of his longtime friend, got up.

"What is it?" Dale asked.

"You better sit down Dale." Chip said.

Foxglove perked up and Lena put down the magazine.

"It’s not Gadget is it?" Dale sounded scared.

"Golly! Do you really worry about little old me." Gadget said as she walked out of the door, a smile on her face.

"What Chip meant was that now that our hq has been found out, we haft to move." The mouse had her head low as she clearly felt sad about the idea of moving from the tree.

Everyone starred at Gadget and even though they wanted to object they all new that there was no other options. So it was a sad group that headed back to the tree, but the day was far from over. For when they arrived at the tree they where meet by a gruesome scene, a fire ravaged the tree and below the ranger plane lay shattered.

Next chapter coming when it comes.

Back to the stories