Dimensions of Change

By Zipper

Chapter Eight

Heads will ache, and bodies will bruise, but Alicia felt none of this. She felt nothing. She stumbled into the observatory in a state of shock. Her crimson eyes were wide and glassy, her feet sliding across the concrete, her thoughts somewhere else, her whitening fur reflecting what little light there was back like a ghost.
“They hate me for me.” She mumbled incessantly under her breath as she mindlessly stumbled past the checkpoints and into the building. Through an air duct and past multiple rodent sized doors she flowed, turning were needed until she finally fell into her niche and fell into a fit full sleep.

Jimmy stood at attention, Jane standing similarly just behind and to his right as the breeze wafted through their damp fur. Why didn’t they just go inside, were it was warm? No, they had to stand here while this Enlisted want to be chewed them a new muzzle.
Jane’s eyes were blood shot and puffy. He was wet and smelled of river silt, and was defiantly not in the mood to be dressed down by some mouse. He didn’t care whom she thought she was. Just because they were new to the resistance, did not give her the right to do this to them.
“Are you sure she was enlisted?” Widget demanded.
“Yes ma’m. I could smell it on her.” Jane replied professionally.
“Smell it…?” Widget questioned.
“Yes ma’m, smell.” Jane replied, her voice wavering for a moment. For a mouse, this one carried a presence.
Widget eyed the vixen. “Explain.”
Jane took a deep breath as she wondered if this so called commander could use more than a few words in a sentence. “Well Ma’m, most rodents carry a nutty smell, due to a high protein, roughage diet and pets smell like cut grass because of the pellets, but the Enlisted don’t eat those things. Because of their diets, they carry a smell like meat that has been in the sun slightly to long.”
Widget stroked her chin and spoke out loud. “Probably a scout. Could mean an attack soon, but why would it save you? A fox wound make a prized solder.”
“If I may Wi… Commander.” Jimmy stumbled. Widget locked her amber eyes onto him and nodded permission for him to continue. Jimmy swallowed hard. “She was quite intelligent. Said her name was Alicia. Very shy, and seemed confused and afraid.”
“Could be a front.” Widget interjected.
“I don’t think so. She was very genuine and once Jane locked onto her scent, she seemed to lose any steel she had and ran.”
“That’s your opinion private.” Widget snapped.
“That’s the truth mouse. I don’t even know why I’m standing here, letting you do this. I am higher on the food chain than you are. I’m not going to take lip from a meals on paws albino!”
Widget stood smugly. “You wan’a try something you dirty flea bag of a lupine? Come on, try it.”
Jane stepped forward. “No Jimmy, don’t.”
“Not now Sis, I have to deal whith dinner.”
“Listen to your sister, it’ll be less painful.” Widget snarled as she cracked her knuckles.
Jimmy grinned, exposing his teeth, teeth that were designed to rip. With lightning speed and laser targeted precession, he pounced.
Widget saw this coming and ran forward, decreasing the distance by a factor of two, causing Jimmy to overshoot. Widget, being the type of mouse she was, rolled as Jimmy flew over, and kicked him on the bottom of his open chin.
Jimmy yelped and lost control as his tongue was nearly bitten off. He landed in a heap of mud and fur. Turning over onto his paws, he pounced again but anticipated Widget trying the same move. She did, and he landed sideways, kicking Widget and sent her flying.
Widget found herself flying. She somersaulted, landing on Jane, and used the startled fox as a springboard. She flew fist out and boxed Jimmy in the right eye. Jimmy howled and stumbled backwards. Widget, never the one to hold back in a fight, went straight for his nose, scratching, biting, kicking, and punching it into a mess of red fluid before jumping off, twisting in mid-air, and landed on her feet, ready for more.
Jimmy, on the other hand, had enough. He already suffered the indignity of losing to a mouse. He held up his paws in peace. “Enough, enough.” He choked as he spat out blood. “I’ve droned once today. I don’t need to do it again.”
Widget nodded, then showed some mock sympathy. “Those rocks in the river sure did a number. You might want to report to first aid.”
“Mommy, I wan’a play.” All three animals looked behind them to find a small mouselet running forward. He jumped onto Jane and started to climb her forepaws. He stopped half way up as he caught sight of Jimmy. “Mommy, play nice!” he scolded.
Widget smiled. “He started it Grimmy.”
“OK mommy.” Grimcrack sang as he continued up Jane’s legs. He climbed in onto her shoulder, then on top of her head. “I’m’a King o’da world!” He declared to no one in particular.
Jane unconsciously flicked her left ear as Grimcrack examined it. “This one yours? Quite friendly, isn’t he.” Jane quipped.
“Yes on both accounts.” Widget grinned with pride.”
“Its like he’s never seen a fox, aren’t you afraid I’d do something rash?” Jane asked as Grimcrack started to crawl into her ear.
Widget leaned back and placed her weight on her back foot and started to examine the nails on her right paw. “Yes, he’s been around a Todd before, and no, I’m not afraid. I figure that you have come to realize that I just rearanged your brothers face. You happen to be a young, pre-adolescent, female, so you probably still working on your hunting form. And if you run… you wouldn’t get much farther than that tree before you were caught. I nice skin like yours would go nice as blankets for the wounded, and the small amount of carnivores we have with us would get to eat meat. I think thay havn’t had that in… oh, say, a month.” Widget explained as she examined the nails on her other paw.
Jane’s eyes grew wide and her paws started to shake. She would have run and never came back except for the small voice in her ear. “Mommy no hurts my friend. You my friend. Mommy likes you.”
Jane swallowed hard. “My ear is telling me that I’m a friend, and that you’re a good Mommy.”
“Widget glanced up from her manicure. “Really, what else does this voice in your ear tell you?”
Jane was breathing fast. “It says that, ah… you like me.” Jane said swallowing again.
Widget sighed. “I can’t keep anything from him.” She mumbled as she started the short walk to the Vixen. Jane lowered her head and Widget extracted Grimcrack from her ear. “I’m sorry, he has a thing for ears.” Widget said as she cuddled him to her.
“That’s ok, he was making this chirping sound that was kind of conforting.” Jane said as she shook her head, trying to clear her ear.
“He likes you.” Widget said as she rocked the small mouse in her arms. “I guess your OK.”
Jane exhaled her tension. A sly look came to her eyes. “Say, you said he’s been around a Todd before. Any one cute?”
Widget rolled her eyes. “I really can’t say if he was or not. Personally, I’m a poor judge of lupine beauty, but that’s neither here not there. His name was Crisscross. The nicest fox you could ever meet, though he was a bit strange. He got caught in the EMP blast from the bomb that wiped out most of the people that lived in the city.” Widget looked out at city hall. “A bomb with enough radiation to almost instantly kill anything within the city limits, but whos half time will degade to become harmless with in hours. Sounded like the stuff only the military could cook up.”
Janes ears sagged, then one raised. “EMP? I thought the bomb didn’t produce EMP, what ever that is.”
Widget let Grimcrack go. He climbed onto Jane’s back and started to use it as a slide. Widget turned back to Jane. “Electro Magnetic Pulse. You see, Crisscross was an… android. The pulse was strong enough to fry most of his circuits and fuse his neural brain.”
“But I thought the explosion was meant to use radiation to kill, but leave equipment alone.” Jane pushed, her tone sounding like all of this was just history to her.
Widget was about to scold the young fox, but realized, she hadn’t been born when Gadget had set the bomb off. She sighed and continued. “We had sent Crisscross in because he was the only one that could defuse the bomb with out being poisoned by the radiation. The problem was, if you set off a bomb that was designed to release an EMP pulse, and your robotic friend is nothing more than a few centimeters from it, shielding doesn’t help much. The real bomb that Crisscross was supposed to defuse was miles away. In a matter of seconds, he was nothing but silicon and aluminum and we couldn’t get to him until the radiation cleared some five hours afterwards.”
A silence, broken only by Grimcrack’s squeals of joy over his new slide, fell on the field. Widget watched as the sky darkened. It would rain soon. She wished that all the troops she had out, a dry journey, though she doubted that were possible.
Jane sulked, head down. Suddenly, she realized that there was one animal missing. “Where’s Jimmy?” She wondered out loud.
Widget smirked. “You didn’t see him leave?”
Jane shook her head no. A new sound filled the foxes ears. Laughter, from… Widget?
“You mean to tell me that you didn’t notice him limp into the tree, or the wink I gave him to reassure him that I was fooling around with you? You missed all of that?”
Jane’s ears reddened. “I guess so.” She whimpered.
Widget’s laughter became a roar. It took a few moments before she could get the breath to form words. “Don’t be to embarrassed. I’ve scared a pack of wolves before.”
“I can believe that.” Jane mumbled.
“And da Dalp’ins to Mommy” Grimcrack reminded as he was climbing Jane’s flank for another go.
“Yes, and the Dolphins Grimmy.” Widget repeated
A radio near by, in the tree, crackled to life. The message was nothing but background noise at this distance. Soon a young lieutenant, a simi-atractive young brown male field mouse, came bouncing up to Widget and saluted.
“Message from Eye 3 received. Reports a build up of Enlisted troops and probable early morning attack. Currently reroute to way point Brovo-Foxtrot. Reports of being chased off by Brovo-Foxtrot-Charlie.”
Widget shook her head. “Thank you lieutenant. Dispatch the MigPi’s to Brovo-Foxtrot to assist Eye 3. That is all.”
The lieutenant saluted and jogged back to his post.
“Wonderful.” Widget moaned as she rubbed her temples. “Another attack so soon… and BFC’S to boot!
“BFC’S?” Jane asked.
“Big Friggen Crows! Eye 3 is a red tail hawk. We use hawks as daytime reconnaissance, but because of the lack of sun, the hawks have had trouble gaining altitude. There just are not that many thermals around for them to use.”
“But crows?” Jane pricked an ear in curiosity.
“Crows just don’t like hawks. It’s a bird thing. Fortunately, we had foreseen this. That’s were the Magpies come in. They hate Crows more than crows hate hawks. They’ll drive the crows off long enough for Eye 3 to escape.” Widget watched as Grimcrack slid down the foxes back. “Grimmy, time to go inside.”
Grimcracks ears lowered. “Mommy, just won more.?”
Widget glared. “No, no more.” Grimcrack slowly marched into the tree.
Janes eyes twinkled. “Come on Grimmy, I’ll tell you the story of the river rescue ghost, and how she saved a fox. I’ll even let you sit on my head.”
Grimcrack perked up. “Willy, I can?”
Jane nodded once, and then lowered her head to the ground.
“Yippy!” Exclaimed Grimcrack as he climbed awkwardly onto her head. He settled in between her ears and grabbed two clumps of fur. “Tell da story.”
Jane sighed. “Once upon a time, there were two foxes, a brother and sister, by a river. It had rained hard that morning…”
“Just like today!” Grimcrack volunteered.”
“Yes lust like to day…”
Widget turned her attention, confidant that Grimcrack was in good paws, back to the possibility of an eminent strike.

“Wake up Alicia. We’re going to be late, again!” Asserted a foreign voice.
Alicia blinked her eyes and slowly came back to coherency.
At first, she only saw shadows, then shapes and eventually the image of her coworker came into view. “Chaos, all destroying! What is it Jonathan?” She hissed as she rubbed her eyes.
“If you don’t hurry, we’re going to be late for another shift.”
Alicia’s rosy eyes bolted open. “What are we waiting for, let go.” She spat as she rolled out of bed, her feet running before they hit the ground. Jonathan soon caught up, mostly due to the fact that she kept looking behind them.
Finally Jonathan had had enough. “Would you stop doing that, you’re slowing us down! If were late, I’m writing you up.” He said with venom dripping from his voice.
“Sorry.” Alicia mumbled as she looked behind again. She couldn’t shake the feeling that she was being followed, not by a person or thing, but by a choice. A decision so great, it could decide her whole future.

Disclaimer: ‘Dimensions of Change’ was produced, written, edited, and well, brought into this Dimensional reality by Zipper the Magnificent! All Characters except for Widget, Grimcrack, Jane, Jimmy, Capt. Tacoma ‘Dodger’ Airheart, Alicia Hamsterball and Jonathan Wintermouse are the trademarks of Disney Animation or some other Disney company (who knows, or cares). John W. Nowak is credited for the creation of Widget and Grimcrack.
I have claimed: Jane, Jimmy, Capt. Tacoma ‘Dodger’ Airheart, Alicia Hamsterball and Jonathan Wintermouse, in the name of Mars. Hmmm, isn’t that lovely?

Hi, Alicia Hamsterball here. I may not be a Vampire, but I play one in this demented story. Strange coincidences and eerie feelings are usually a normal part of life, but can also be a sure sign of a greater cause, Hyperacute-Freekedoutism (frEEk-d-owt-ism). Yes Hyperacute-Freekedoutism use to be incurable condition that would leave you edgy for days, but now there is a cure, Punch-d-guydoingIt2u (punch-D-guy-doing-it-to-you). That’s right, just pull back, and let fly, and the best part, it can be taken in controlled does to meet your needs. Say your boyfriend takes you to see ‘Frankenstine Vs The Swamp Thing.’ Just give him a gentle slap. But, if your younger brother jumps out of a dark room, causing you to leave an embarrassing puddle on the floor, give him a full dosage that will leave a mark for weeks to come, and reminds him why your older than he is.

Warning: Punch-d-guydoingIt2u should not be taken with out consulting your conscious. Most people experienced symptoms like ‘sore-fist, and hearing loss caused by the coward squealing like a pig, but grater symptoms like loss of friends, loss of boy/girlfriend, being charged with assault and battery, and jail time have accrued in less than 50%. If you are a descent person, have any semblances of a conscious, or are not an evil albino mouse, should not take Punch-d-guydoingIt2u.

Punch-d-guydoingIt2u, take control of your life!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m more than a bird…I’m more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me

It may sound absurd…but don’t be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed…but won’t you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

It’s not easy to be me.

Group:Five for fighting
Song:Superman(It's not easy)
Album:American Town

Next chapter

Back to the stories